1

1

No one could drop an eyelid as the trickles of cold muddy water fell from the earth above them consecutively. Their hearts were nervous and scared, anxious for Naylor to return. Kevin was especially nervous, though he didn't show it. He was the leader of the pack. He had to be brave for the rest of them.

He stood by the crate, staring nowhere in particular. All he could see was darkness and all he could think of was revenge. His anger for what they did to his mother was fresh.

They had ruined their home, killed their people and made them fugitives. Now he had to protect their pack from an underground cave. They couldn't stay there much longer. The next full moon was in a week. But if they left, Naylor wouldn't know where to find them. That is, if he was still alive. He said he would meet them at the caves. He said he had to finish what he started.

It had been three whole weeks and he still hadn't returned. They had already lost too much. They couldn't lose an alpha.

Naylor was no ordinary alpha. They were brothers. Even though they fought, they still loved each other to death. They loved their entire family; Claire, Astard, their mother and the rest of the wolves.

Kevin pondered on these things as he stood by the crate. A lonely tear rolled down the side of his face. He quickly wiped it away as he heard someone approach him. He squinted to see who the image formed. Everywhere was dark. He picked up his spear.

"Whoa, it's just me", Robin alerted him. She waved her hands in mock surrender. He sighed and dropped the spear against the wall.

"Sorry, Robin. I'm a bit on edge", he told her. He wouldn't tell anybody else that. Only a few people truly knew Kevin Miller. Others saw him as brave and untouchable. Even his father didn't know him as well as Robin did.

"I know", she said coming closer. He could see the fear in her eyes, behind that warm smile. She moved over to the crate and pulled it open. She drew out a lamp and lit it. He glanced at her.

"After all this, I'll be glad to see the sun", he said. 

"I'll be glad to get something decent to eat", Robin replied him as she placed the tip of her thumb on her lips. Robin always talked about food and Kevin found it hilarious. He tried to laugh, but it was choked by harsh memories. She was worried about him. He had barely eaten or slept, and he kept saying he had to guard the fort.

A rumbling sound came from the inner cave, followed by someone yelling, "Claire!".

Kevin ran off in the direction of the noise, caught with fright. Robin followed swiftly after him. He came into the large opening where most of them slept. Claire sat up in her make-shift bed as one of the wolves tried to calm her down.

"I said I'm fine", she snapped at the lanky fellow. Kevin sighed in relief and walked towards her bed.

"What's wrong?", he asked the confused man.

"She was acting up in her sleep. I think she had a nightmare", the man retorted. Poor guy Kevin thought. She had probably elbowed him in the jaw when he came to her rescue. She wasn't too good at playing the damsel in distress.

"Thanks", Kevin told him. He backed away in a haze. Kevin slid onto the bed beside Claire. Her eyes were fixed on the floor, enlarged in their sockets. She was beautiful, a sight to behold. She had caramel hair that cascaded down to her elbow, the same colour as Kevin's. Her eyes were a sparkly shade of green and her plump lips were as pink as a rose. Her face was perfectly sculpted. She had the face of an angel and the body of a devil, all her curves fit in the right places.