Tip-Top

It's hot. Then again, it's always hot here. We only really have two seasons; Summer, and Spring. Winter and Autumn are very rare. So rare in fact, that if you so much as feel a gust of cool wind against your body as you step outside, you'll practically come down with a cold the next day. The cooler seasons just don't come around, and that is something that everyone has learnt to accept. We've learnt to adapt to the eternal heat; there really isn't much of a choice. We just crank up the air-cons and greasily coat our bodies in the highest SPF brand any chemist or supermarket has to offer.

The weather isn't all that bad though. It's great if you're into the outdoors, not so much if you like to keep sweat free and maintain a wrinkle-less appearance for as long as possible. I prefer the latter. Most days I spend my time sprawled on the cool, hardwood floor of the lounge room, right beneath the ceiling fan and where the air-con is on full blast. The feeling of my arms and thighs sticking to the floorboards is oddly satisfying, especially whilst hearing the channel seven weatherman reporting that today's high was forty degrees.

"Hana would you get off the floor, you're in everyone's way." I lazily let my head drop to the side, my mum's white and well-worn thongs and clipped toenails coming into view. Slowly, I let my eyes wander upwards to her face, adorning a tired frown and shadowed by her frizzed curls.

"Everyone as in just you." My voice has a croak to it. One that sounds like I've had my mouth open under the fan for a little too long.

"Well I'd rather not have to walk over you every time I want to sit down on the couch." I dampen my chaffed lips and roll my head back to staring at the fan. It's somewhat hypnotising.

"Hana."

"Hmm."

"Come on, Hana. Your last day in Adelaide and your spending it on the floor?" I close my eyes, as a dizzying sensation starts to build in the back of my head from focusing on the fan.

"Yes."

"Hana, get up." Her voice holds more authority to it, suggesting that she's had enough of me laying on the floor and wasting my 'last day in Adelaide' away. Slowly, I peel my body from the floor, feeling a cool sensation against my back and arms as the fan blows on the newly exposed skin. I don't get up though. I sit up and cross my legs, as I shift to face my mum. I raise my eyebrows as I purse my lips, silently asking; 'are you happy now?' She sighs, shaking her head and changing the TV channel.

"I heard there's going to be a firework display down at Semaphore, for the Uni students heading back to school."

"Nice."

"You should go." I refrain from rolling my eyes, and instead drop my head back to ease the stiffness in my neck. "It'll be fun. And take Albi with you, he could use the exercise."

"I'm not going." I stand and dust off my shorts and rub at the back of my thighs.

"Brooke's going, you can head out together." Mum seems adamant, and I know it's because she'd rather me not be around while she watches The Bachelor encores on channel ten.

"I'm sure she can find someone else to go with." My voice echoes as I walk barefoot down the hall to the kitchen. At the sound of my steps, Albi pads into the room and stands by the door where the house keys and his leash hang. "Not today, buddy." He doesn't take a hint though, as he follows me to the cutlery drawer and then the fridge and sits beside my feet as I open the freezer. I reach for the only remaining bucket of ice cream left, and open it, only to be disappointed.

"We're out of ice-cream?" I call out, questioning it for some reason. I don't bother to throw the Napoleon bucket in the bin, as I leave it in the freezer along with the spoon.