Chapter 16

Losing Rob left just Jerome, Brandon, and I to work on our new plan. They hunched over a piece of paper, whispering to each other. They don't want me to know about it, apparently, until it was done. I ignore them and eat my lunch. Sometimes they'd slide over to me and ask me a question, and I'd answer the question. It must be some plan because they're both treating it like it's rocket science.

"Yes! Yes, yes yes, yes!" Jerome suddenly screams. For around the 3rd time today, everyone turns to stare at us, especially the teacher that was now watching the cafeteria to make sure no one fights again.

"Jerome! Do you want to end up like Rob or something?" Brandon shouts at him, equally as loud. It didn't exactly help. The teacher walks over and tells them to talk quieter. Basically the polite version of "Shut the hell up before I suspend you two too." Brandon and Jerome scoot over to where I am.

"Look at this shit," Jerome says and hands me the paper. I stare at it for about 2 seconds before making a conclusion.

"I can't read this."

"Why not?" Brandon asks.

"Who wrote this?" I question instead. Jerome half raises his hand. "That explains it."

"Hey, I know my handwriting is bad, Vikk, but is it that bad?" Jerome frowns. I tell him to read it himself. "Okay, maybe it's pretty bad. I don't think I can read this either."

Brandon tries to grab it, but Jerome dodges. He gets it the next time, though, and it results in a giant tear in the middle of the paper. I know what's about to happen and cover my ears.

"Look what you did!" They both yell at each other. The teacher immediately walks over to where we sit. I stare at the floor until the scolding stops, and when I look back, they're gone. I turn around and see them walking shamefully to the door, following her. Brandon turns around to wave at me. This is the first time Brandon's ever gotten in trouble, I'm sure. I can't believe this, and I'm sure no one else would either.

"What else did you lie about?" Someone shouts down the hall. I don't bother going to check it out. No need to get into whatever that is. Instead, I open my locker and find my mask sitting on top of my pile of textbooks.

'I really am sorry Vikk. I regret everything I did, and I hope we can start over. I told Lachlan whoever has this mask is the real 'starboy.' He knows the truth now. I just want to fix everything. -Preston'

I pick up my mask. Maybe he really is sorry. Down the hall, I see Mat walking around, chatting with Mitch. They both have a bruise on their cheeks, visible like a black dot on a white background. I may have been left alone by my friends, but I still have Preston. Well, until he and Rob 'fought.'

I have a chance now.