Chapter 6

I sat through lunch alone. Preston and Rob were working on a project or something, and Brandon is nowhere to be seen. He's been avoiding me all day today, which I can't exactly blame him for. I rejected him. Maybe not exactly rejected, but I definitely didn't respond to his kiss the way he would've liked. Lachlan tried talking to me, but I shoved him away with a warning about getting slapped again. That guy will not give up, I tell you. As I'm walking through the halls after lunch, someone grabs my arm and pulls me in between some lockers. I punch them out of reflexes.

"Ah, dude. What the hell?"

"Oops. Sorry Preston," I say. He rubs his shoulder. "I've been beat up quite a couple times. You can't blame me for being jumpy."

"Yeah, yeah. I just wanted to tell you you're coming with me and Rob after school," He says.

"Why?"

"Rob was really excited about the whole Halloween Dance thing, y'know?" When I nod, he continues. "Well, he's forcing me to go costume shopping after school, and I'm not going through this alone."

"Is Brandon coming?"

"I'll ask him. Probably, though," He answer.

"Do I have to come?" I ask.

"Yes because I'm not babysitting Rob for a whole so long alone."

"Why am I friends with him?" I groan. He laughs.

"Come on. Rob is a pretty cool guy. Just a bit childish," Preston tells me.

"Can I go to class now?"

"Yes, you may," He replies.

"Oh, shut up, smartass." I start speed walking towards 4th period. Talking with Preston really delayed me. I take a seat next to Rob.

"So are you coming along?" He asks immediately.

"Yeah."

"Great," He squeals. Mr. Ronaldez, our math teacher, shushes him.

"I told Brandon already," Rob whispers to me once Mr. Ronaldez stops staring at us like a hawk.

"He's coming?"

"Yep." I gently slam my forehead against my desk.

"What's wrong, Vikk?" Rob asks, concerned. I shake my head. They can't know about this. Brandon'll only hate me more if I just tell everyone his secret.

"Just tell me," He begs. I glance over at him. Rob's always the one that cares about everyone. He's more caring than even Brandon.

"Brandon and I are having an argument. That's all," I tell him. He frowns.

"Why don't you two just sort it out?"
"Some things aren't that simple, Rob." I pick up my pencil again and start writing the novel's worth of notes on the board. Why do I care what x equals anyways?

After a painful rest of the day of school-not to mention Brandon not even glancing at me when I talked to him during class-I follow Preston out the door. Although I'm old enough to drive, my parents consider it "not safe" because "75% of car accidents happen in cars." Preston, though, has a car he's allowed to drive. Rob does too, but he prefers to ride a bike; Brandon gets dropped off, and I walk. Everyone climbs into Preston's car. Rob puts his bike in the trunk before climbing in next to Preston.

"How come you get shotgun?" Brandon complains.

"Because he's the bae here, Brandon," Preston answers before Rob can. Rob hides his face, and Brandon and Preston laugh. I stay quiet. After a short 5 minutes or so, we arrive at Walmart.

"Of all the places to go, Preston," I say.

"Hey, blame Rob. He wanted to come."

"I did?"

We all walk into the store. Rob and Preston shoving each other and bantering like children while Brandon and I walk peacefully.

"I wanna be a pretty flower!" Rob exclaims, hugging the outfit.

"Can you be more girly?" Preston sighs.

"I could have a hairstyle like yours."

"Damn son. You need some cream for that burn?" I laugh. Preston starts chasing Rob away, leaving Brandon and I. Thanks guys. I pretend to be interested in a cow costume.

"Look, Vikk. We have to sort this out," Brandon tells me. I look over at him.

"You can't avoid the problem forever."
"Really? You were avoiding me pretty easily today," I retort.

"You're not the problem. I am," He sighs. I walk over and hug him. It's a bit awkward as I'm the shortest guy in existence.

"I don't want our friendship to be ruined because of that," I tell him.

"Me either. I'm sorry I kissed you. I just had to."

"Friends?"

"Friends." We shake hands. [Someone just got friend zoned.]

"So what do you wanna be for Halloween?" He asks. "You seemed pretty interested in that cow."

"Yeah, no. I want to be a star."

"Like this one?" I look at the one he's pointing to. It's exactly what I'd imagined. A glowing star shaped piece of cloth. It even came with a star mask.

"Woah. How'd you find this?" I ask, reaching over and touching it.

"I've been standing next to it this whole time, Vikk."

Preston and Rob run back to us, Rob hiding behind me. I laugh at the two. They hate and love each other at the same time. Have you seen anything like that?