Chapter 15

"All is lost," Rob sighs.

"Not all. We could... uhh... Never mind, all is lost," Jerome says. "At least my cookie's still happy."

Brandon stabs the grinning cookie in Jerome's hand with a fork. It splits in half and lands on the table. Jerome frowns and mumbles a sarcastic thanks.

"Glad to help. I have another plan though," Brandon says. Everyone looks at Brandon, expressions brightening. "We give in and face the fact that none of us will ever have a love life until we order someone from Russia online [No offense to anyone from Russia]."

"I like that idea," Rob nods with a roll of his eyes.

"Really, Brandon?" Jerome asks.

"What?"

"Russia? Everyone knows people from Japan are better [No offense to anyone from Japan either]."

"I hope both of you are joking," I tell them. They shrug. Half joking, they say. They'll actually do that if it comes down to it.

"We do have other options, though. I mean, if you saw him kissing Mitch once, I'm sure you can see him do it again," Brandon says; I give them a confused look.

"That's right; Vikk hasn't seen the picture yet," Rob remembers and slides me his phone.

"Huh. How come no one showed it to me till now?" I ask.

"We forgot," All three of them answer at the same time.

"He's an idiot," Rob says. "That boy."

Brandon immediately replies. "Don't say that."

"He is. Of all the people to have a completely not serious relationship with, like, come on!"

"He's not that bad," Brandon mutters. Rob and Brandon start arguing, Jerome joining in at times. I stare at Preston whose gaze is also fixed on us. Mitch and Mat aren't anywhere to be seen.

"What do you think Vikk?" Rob asks me. They all turn to look at me, their backs to Preston.

"Uhh." Their eager faces say they really want to hear the answer I'm not going to give. "I think we should listen to what this traitor has to say."

Jerome says 'Mitch' at the same time Rob says 'Preston,' causing it to get quite awkward for a bit. Preston looks down at the floor. Rob tries not to look at anything at all.

"Well? What brings you here, Preston?" Brandon says. He looks even more shameful when Brandon says that.

"I'm sorry?"

"How many times to I have to repeat myself? I ripped up two of your notes, ate one, and stabbed 'you' to death with a pencil!" I shout at him. Heads turn our way, but I ignore them. "Is that not enough to say apology not accepted?"

"I wanted to explain myself," Preston whispers. He looks scared. Of me. Of me?

"Calm down, Vikk. We're listening." Jerome pats my back.

"Well, first thing, I really actually wanted to be you guys' friends. That was never part of the plan," Preston says. "It was just to get Lachlan to feel what it's like to be... Y'know..."

"Betrayed?" I suggest. He nods.

"Yeah, I think that's the word."

"And you don't think we feel betrayed?" Rob suddenly screams. He jumps up, out of his seat and grabs Preston's collar. They may be the same size,-or close to it-but Preston at that moment seemed completely defenseless at the moment. People start looking our way.

"Rob. Put him down," Brandon says. Rob doesn't obey.

"Robert. Drop it," Jerome commands, as if he was talking to a dog. Rob glares at him.

They just stand there until someone gets a teacher to come. Although they weren't fighting, or even yelling, the teacher drags both of them away and out of the cafeteria.

"So that just happened?" Brandon says. Jerome and I nod.