Chapter 7

I look at myself in the mirror one more time. For the first time in years, I actually look decent for Halloween. I'd decided to go with Preston at his house and drive to school where we meet up with Rob and Brandon. Neither of my parents had the time to drive me, and I felt it would be weird to see a star walking down the street. Luckily, Preston's house isn't far from mine, as we've found out.

"Vik! You look great!" He exclaims when the door opens. I smile.

"You look great too!" He has on a huge cowboy hat and a big mustache. He has jeans and weird boots. The pockets where guns go [What're they called?] are empty. I assume we aren't allowed to have weapons at school.

"Ready to go?" Preston asks.

"Sure. Can you drive in those boots though?"

"It'll be painful," He answers. I sit down in the seat next to him.

"No mask for you?" I question. He shrugs. "It's the first time they've allowed it."

"Remind me if a bandana counts as a mask?"

"I don't see why not. It covers most of your face. Although you'll be dying," I reply. He laughs a bit and starts driving.

"What's Brandon dressed as again? I keep forgetting. I know Rob's a scarecrow."

"That guy from Star Wars."

"Jabba the Hutt?" I shake my head. That doesn't sound right. "Yoda?"

"Yoda he is not."

"Boba Fett? Darth Vader? R2D2?"

"Actually, what's the second one you said?"

"Darth Vader." I nod. That's the one.

"Are you into Star Wars?" I ask. He chuckles and shakes his head no. Preston parks his car. Such a short car ride, but it would've taken me around 15 minutes to walk.

"Come on then! What're you waiting for?" Preston's already standing outside, and he pulls me out of car.

"I thought you weren't excited for this?" I ask as I follow him. He shrugs but the smile stays on his face.

"Preston!" Someone yells. He starts jogging towards whoever it was, and I walk into the gym alone. No Darth Vader or scarecrow in sight, though.

I wander around, moving out of the way, pushing people out of the way, and getting shoved out of the way. Someone taps my shoulder, and I turn around to see a skeleton. He has his hat backwards on his head.

"Oops, sorry. Thought you were someone else," He tells me. "It's pretty easy to get lost in here."

"Yeah, I'm pretty lost too."

"Well, since we're both lost," He says, holding out a hand, "care for a dance?"

I chuckle but take the hand. "Why not?" Rob did tell me to try and have fun tonight. We end up goofing around, not even dancing really, until the song ends.

"This place is so loud. Wanna go outside or something?" He asks. I smile at him and nod. This won't be that bad. I follow the boy through the crowd, not having to shove around anyone since he's doing that already. I almost lose him when a random person knocks me down, though. Someone catches me.

"Vikk! Glad you could make it!" The person that caught me yells over the noise. I look at him. Darth Vader's mask stares at me, and I can only imagine Brandon is smiling underneath it.

"Brandon! I've been looking for you!" I shout back. He shakes his head.

"Uh huh, sure you were. If that's the case, who were you following, huh?" He replies. I feel my cheeks burn.

"Just this guy I ran into." He chuckles.

"Alright then. Whatever you say," He tells me. "Just don't have too much fun."

I punch him in the shoulder as he pushes me away and towards the direction the boy headed in. I give him a middle finger before trying to catch up to the guy. I find him looking for me as well.

"Where'd you go?" He asks.

"Ran into a friend," I answer.

"And you didn't stay with him?"

"Nah, I felt like going with you instead."

"Touching," He smiles. "Let's go then."