War of 3015: Chapter Eleven

I walked into the dinning room and gasped in shock. It looked like a ballroom. There was a large empty space in front of the long white draped table with candles lit and plates and utensils set, waiting for the food and people to arrive. In a corner of that empty space, to the right, stood musicians.

It seems Sarah and Alistair like to eat with violins playing in the background.

Hearing my heels against the hardwood floor, I stop behind the chair with my name on a folded piece of paper in black ink.

I look beside me to find that Leo was to be eating on my right, while Eithan was to eat on my left. Sarah and Alistair were to sit in front of us, facing the empty room.

I consider sitting down, but I remembered that a certain politeness protocol would be to wait until Sarah and Alistair would sit down first.

A movement on my right grabs my attention.

"Roselyn!" Leo states, quickening his pace. "I got sidetracked by my beautiful balcony in my room." He starts,"The views are just amazing!"

He must be indirectly apologizing for not meeting me back in my room after my shower. Which was fine. I wouldn't have been there anyways. Again.

He walks beside me and finds his name on the table. "I'm happy to be dinning with you again. It's been awhile since I have been able to hear words from you."

He sits down right away and starts looking at the paper with his name.

I look at him shocked.

"I mean, I talked to you a bit at the Terriens ball, but I am talking about a really normal conversation. You know, the ones we used to do all the time when we were outside Everlyn's headquarters?"

My mind was too occupied with his previous actions to requester those words.

Did he not know of the protocol? Or does he not care?

"Leo stand up." I say quietly.

He looks at me. "Why? You sit."

I shake my head.

"The King and Queen must sit first."

His eyes widened, as he gets up quickly and places his chair and name on the paper as it was.

"I had no idea." He mumbles."sorry."

I held back a smile.

I hear chattering between two males and a female walking down the hallway as there voices echo and intertwine together.

Soon enough, the voices had faces, as Sarah, Alistair and Eithan walked into the room.

Sarah smiled and greeted us, Alistair following suit, and Eithan greeted us too but looked only at Leo.

He stood beside me but didn't look my way.

"Please," Sarah starts, "sit." She finishes, having already sat down beside her husband.

Despite the active topics and laughter at the table while we ate, Eithan and I never conversed directly. He didn't glance my way once, and neither did I.

This felt like a break up.

As though we had been together for a whole year and a half, only to find that one of us cannot love the other in order to achieve a personal goal that will benefit us both.

It hurts me to know that I have caused him pain. But I cannot undo it.

I munch down on some steak, silently listening to the conversations going on.