Chapter 2 - But, That Always Works in the Movies!

CHAPTER TWO - But, That Always Works in the Movies!

Ares was shocked as he glanced at the unconscious woman. He bent down as he continued to stare at her and observe her features. But his ogling was cut short when the girl began to stir. As if all effects of infatuation had worn away, he remembered his purpose of being in her apartment. Could this woman be the thief? Anger and rage immediately replaced all feelings he had felt for the woman. Before she fully awoke, Ares looked around the room and noticed an empty chair and a pile of scarves while an idea slowly formed in his head.

Amara woke up with a pounding headache. When she opened her eyes, she instinctively tried to raise her hands to rub her throbbing head but realized that she couldn't move her arms at all. She looked down and realized that she had been tied to her chair by a bunch of her scarves. She gasped as her head flew up and was greeted by the most attractive man she had ever seen. His piercing green eyes bored into hers as she continued to gawk at him. His face held a steady gaze, which had an air of authority that was almost palpable. He kept his mouth closed in a thin straight line, and his dirty blond hair was styled in a messy, naturally curly way that she itched to run her hands through. It was only then when she realized that though he was a devilishly attractive man, he might have been more devilish than attractive. He was an intruder in her apartment and had obviously tied her up.

"Hey! Who do you think you are? Untie me and get out of here!" She screamed.

She gulped as he narrowed his eyes. What did he want, she wondered. He slowly approached her, pushed her chair against the wall, and slammed both of his hands on either side of her face locking her in. He leaned forward until they were, oh, so close that their noses were almost touching. It took everything within him to stop himself from inhaling that delicious vanilla scent.

"Where is it?" He growled out.

"Where is what?"

"Oh, don't act stupid with me. You know what I am talking about, mortal! Where. Is. My. Sword?" He bit out.

Amara was terrified. There was a lunatic in her apartment who believed that she had his "sword." Amara's one self-defense lesson came to mind as she managed to loosen the scarves around her and found the courage and strength to shove the stranger off of her and yell out, "Listen, sir... I have no idea where your sword is, but I am going to have to ask you to get away from me and leave my apartment. Now!" As he stumbled backwards, she took the opportunity to duck under his arms and run away. Not knowing what else to do, Amara took a glass vase and threw it at the intruder. It smashed into bits all over him, but it neither left one scratch on his body nor phased him at all.

"WHAT THE HELL? THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO WORK! IT ALWAYS WORKS IN THE MOVIES?" She continued grabbing inanimate objects and hurling it towards him, but to avail. Once again he had locked her up against the wall. It might have been a comedic sight if she wasn't terrified for her life, but Ares did not find this amusing-- not in the least. He grabbed her forcefully by the neck and pulled her up where her feet were no longer in contact with the ground. "Wonderful and now you're choking me," she coughed out.

"SILENCE! Now, I won't ask you again, fool. Where is my sword?" Ares was slowly losing his patience with the girl. He was confused as to why she was not cooperating. If she had the sword then she obviously had to know who he was and what he was capable of. But that's when it dawned on him. What if she wasn't the thief? Deciding to test out his theory, he chose to use the last of his powers to detect whether she was telling the truth. If only he had borrowed Hephestus's lasso of truth. He loosened his grip where he was no longer choking the girl but tight enough where he still had a firm grip on her neck. He closed his eyes and focused on her thoughts. He held himself back from laughing at what this poor girl was thinking. It was as if she was having a conversation with herself.