C20: End of term and Christmas shopping

"Oh my god, it's almost end of term!" exclaimed Zoe, out of the blue. Then she groaned. "Then there's winter."

They all knew what that meant. Winter in England was not nice. Rain every day, snow often, extreme weather.

"I didn't mind winter back in Australia. Sure, it was cold, but at the same time kinda nice." Hannah said.

"Yeah, but here, it's like hell on earth." Lilli grumbled.

"This is my first winter in England. It'll be such a cliché experience." Said Hannah.

"You're gonna absolutely love it," said Mary sarcastically.

"I'm sure I will."

~

Before they knew it, the girls were getting back on trains and going home.

"Don't open your presents 'till Christmas, girls!" Hannah yelled and waved out the window.

"We'll try not to, Han!" The others shouted and waved.

Hannah sat down next to her sister and sighed. "Here comes winter." She said.

"Sure as heck, Han." Emily groaned back.

"Well we get our first White Christmas!" Hannah nudged Emily playfully.

"Yeah I suppose that's alright," Emily said. "Imagine what Louise will be like though."

Louise loved snow. She had hardly ever seen it, so by the end of this winter she would probably be sick of it. Hannah stated this.

"She probably won't be sick of it, she never will be," Emily pointed out.

"Yeah I suppose."

They were silent for most of the journey. Hannah texted Gemma.

HANNAH: School's just finished up 4 us!

GEMMA: lucky. We've still got another week👿

HANNAH:😄 well I sent u a Chrissy present a few weeks ago, have u got it yet?

GEMMA: na mate, should soon😋 sent u one 2😘

HANNAH: coolies have a great Christmas! U lucky Aussies get 6 weeks, but it's the winter hols here, we only get 2👿 oh well.

GEMMA: haha! Anyways have a good break bæ.

GEMMA: oh how's that guy of urs?

HANNAH: great.😊Hot as usual.😂 OH MY GOD AND WE DANCED AT THE DISCO!!!

GEMMA: 😱😏good job!!! Send me a pic of him😉

HANNAH: stalker! He's mine back off👿

GEMMA: woah calm down I just wanna see what he looks like

HANNAH: k

(Picture of will)

GEMMA: omg you'd be so cute together!

HANNAH: haha thnx😊 didn't I already send u a pic?

GEMMA: dunno mate, maybe

HANNAH: ok well my train's pulling into the station I'll chat l8r

GEMMA: k k! luv u bæ! Have a great holiday!

HANNAH: ur a poet and u don't know it😂 thnx u 2

The train slowed to a stop, the two sisters gathered up their stuff and got off the train. They spotted their parents and went over to them.

"Hannah! Emily!" Louise squealed, and jumped into Hannah's outstretched arms. Hannah swung her around in a big hug.

"How are you feeling, sweetie? We were worried about you!" Hannah placed Lou down.

"I'm much better thanks Han." Louise said, jumping into Emily's arms.

The Lawrences walked to their car and got in. As they sped along up the highway and into the countryside, the radio blasted throughout the car. Hannah and Emily sang along, and even little Louise joined in, and their parents nodded their heads to the modern music.

Hannah loved her family. They were happy and secure, they loved each other in a way that cannot be put into words. And they all wanted it to stay that way.

~

Hannah woke up on the morning feeling refreshed but still tired. Today Emily and Hannah were going Christmas shopping.

Hannah got out of her warm bed and walked to the window. Outside was almost completely white. It had snowed the night before, and frost covered the roads.

Hannah went to her wardrobe and selected some warm items of clothing. A (surprisingly warm) black pair of tight fitting leggings; a light blue, fluffy 'jumper-shirt' (as Hannah called it); a brown scarf and white converses that had extra thick, 2 inch soles.

She strode to the bathroom and turned the tap. Warm water poured over Hannah and soothed her.

After a long, relaxing shower, Hannah went downstairs and looked for Emily. Then the two got in the car and Emily revved the engine.

"London here we come!" Said Hannah.

~

After a couple hours of shopping, the two sisters strode into a coffee shop, arms heavy with bags. They sat down and ordered two hot chocolates and a bowl of hot chips for lunch.

"Christmas in one week. I can't believe it!" Emily said. "I'm in year 12 next year."

"We still have half the year left," Hannah pointed out.

"Stupid English schooling." Mumbled Emily.

Hannah laughed. "Oh Em."

"What?"

"You're a funny thing."

Emily scowled, but then laughed along with her sister.

They paid for their lunch and walked out of the shop to buy some more presents.