Part 28: "Best Friend"

I had it all planned out. I wasn't going to call her or even visit her at her house. No, I was going to do it in front of everyone so that they all knew what a fucking fake bitch she really was.

When I woke up the next morning I felt like shit. I had managed to get about two hours of sleep in between crying and eating and crying and crying and crying and looking through our old photos and crying and just feeling like a full on fuck up. I had no one to talk to because my parents didn't come home for the night and I didn't want to call Bella because I still didn't know whether she knew or not. Dan had called me infinite times but I never answered. I didn't know whether he was going to be in school today, but I had to go in. I was angry, broken, disappointed and in complete bitch mode.

I dressed all in black seeing as that represented my state and mood and put on a brave face even though I felt like falling down and crying with every step I took from my car to the school entrance. I missed my friends throughout the day until lunch came upon us. I couldn't help but feel alone all day. I desperately needed someone to talk to but felt like I didn't have anyone. I was hoping that maybe I would bump into Caleb and I would be able to tell him everything, and possibly seek his help but he was nowhere to be seen. I hadn't even seen Dan, which I was thankful to God for because I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I saw him.

"What's up?" Bella asked, as she joined me along with my dearest friend Grace at our usual table.

I sighed, trying to hold back the tears at the thought. "I broke up with Dan."

I witnessed my best friends eyes pop out of her sockets. "What happened? Why? You were meant to make up."

"We did." I croaked. "But then--"

"Then what?" Grace asked.

I found myself glaring at her and couldn't stop the words leaving my lips. "None of your fucking business." This wasn't the plan, I wasn't meant to give in so easy.

Grace was surprised at my outburst, it was obvious. "Abbie, what's wrong? Why can't you tell me? I'm your best friend."

I laughed humourlessly, crying inside. "Yeah, 'best friend'."

They both stared at me confused. "Abbie what's going on?" Bella asked.

"Grace knows what's going on." I told Bella, not taking my eyes off of Grace.

That's when Grace realised that I knew. I knew everything and her expression turned from confusion to pure guilt. It didn't work on me though. She betrayed me and broke my heart. Her puppy dog eyes weren't going to cut it.

"Abbie? Grace?"Bella asked, looking between the two of us.

"Grace," I said. "Why don't you tell everyone why I broke up with my boyfriend of five years whom I loved with my whole heart until last night."

Grace didn't say anything though. She didn't even move. The only thing she did do was shamefully looking down at her fidgeting hands.

I could feel tears forming in my eyes. They were tears of heart break and upset boy most of all of anger and disappointment. I couldn't hold it in, she wasn't going to speak, she was ashamed.

"Because you slept with him you fucking bitch." I cried. I saw Bella's jaw drop to the ground while Grace looked up at me, her eyes clearly watering.

"I didn't want to." She sobbed. "It just happened."

I couldn't believe what she was saying. "It just happened? So it didn't even mean anything?"