Part 4: Date Night

Before I knew it, Wednesday had come upon us. After speaking to my mum last week, I hadn't been able to get Caleb out of my mind, and it was torturing me.

After years of hating him, one conversation with my mother gave birth to a feeling of guilt. I knew that Caleb didn't give a shit about the way I treated him or how I felt about him, after all he used to treat me like crap and he was the bad boy. But since the conversation I had been thinking of ways to maybe speak to Dan and persuade him to talk to Caleb through everything. It was pathetic but I had to try, and our date night was the perfect opportunity.

"You know I must say, I never believed that you would actually go to Madame Blanc and ask for a seat change." That was the first thing Caleb had said to me in almost a week.

I turned to him with a smirk. "You obviously don't know me that well."

"Am I that bad babe?" He asked with a chuckle.

I shook my head. "Don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's weird and creepy." I told him.

"Rachel doesn't mind." He smirked.

"That's cos Rachel is so desperate she doesn't mind anything." I have him a fake smile. "Plus, she's your 'girlfriend'."

"Ouch." He chuckled. "What do you mean by 'girlfriend'?"

I sighed. "Caleb, we all know she's not girlfriend material."

"What if I love her?"

I raised my eyebrows to hint that I wasn't falling for any of it. "Okay."

"You know, I can almost smell your jealousy." He smirked.

"Well I can literally smell your stupidity." I remarked.

A smile appeared on his face. "When did you become so sassy?"

"When you became a cocky asshole."

"Wait that was..."

"Always, yup." Caleb didn't even have time to reply as the bell rang signalling the end of the school day. I picked up my stuff and strode out the classroom without another look back at him.

So, that was harder than I expected.

/////////

"You look beautiful." Dan smiled as the waiter brought our orders.

"Thank you." I smiled. I had decided to dress up but not majorly, a blue and white striped crop top, black high waisted denim shorts and my pair of black lace up leather boots with stacked heels.

"It's been a while." He said, as he reached for my hand over the table.

"Yeah, this is lovely." I agreed.

He took a bite of his food. "How was your day?"

"Alright." I told him. "I spoke to your brother."

Dan's head snapped up in response. "What did he say?"

I shrugged. "Nothing new. He was just being annoying and cocky."

Dan shook his head. "How are you gonna deal with him for a whole year?"

"I don't know." I told him. Okay, I had to bring up the whole 'talk through it with Caleb' situation. If not now, I would never do it. "Look babe, I've been thinking about you and Caleb."

"Why?" Dan asked confused.

I sighed. "I was just thinking, we're 17. This whole conflict has been dragging for years now and it's never going to stop if nothing is done about it."

"What are you saying Abbie?"

I shrugged. "I know it was easier before because Caleb was away, but he's back now. Wouldn't it be easier if you two were on good terms?"

Dan looked at me as if I was crazy. "Are you suggesting me and him talk through this or something?"

I nodded. "Exactly."

He laughed. "Are you okay?"

I sighed. "Dan come on. You live in the same house! I don't have to be on good terms with him, but he's your brother. Can't you two just talk it out or even fight it out? Just get it out of your systems."

Dan shook his head. "I don't want to have anything to do with him. Abbie you've been there through everything. You know how he used to bully me and hurt me. How he made fun of any girl that used to spend any time with me, including you!"

"I know." I told him. "He was a horrible brother, but surely, both of you have changed and grown up. Even matured. Do you really plan on just ignoring him for the rest of the year?"

Dan nodded. "Precisely." This really didn't go as well as I hoped. I didn't realise Dan was so stubborn. "Are you coming over on Friday?" Dan asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah, of course." I told him. Dan's parents had invited me over for Friday dinner with the offer to sleep over. I had said yes straight away seeing as I loved Dan's parents and also it's been a while since Dan and I had spent a night together.

Now that I thought of it, a day and a half at Dan's home, around Caleb wasn't going to be so great.