Chapter Twenty-Three

Aaron
Three days.

Three days and I still hadn't told Robin what I had done. I had been prepared to face the judgment and hatred of both he and Jay, but neither of them had said anything, and no one had stopped by our house to arrest me. So like a coward worthy of Derios, I said nothing.

Robin, of course, was oblivious. I could always count on my sweet boyfriend to know nothing.

I didn't deserve him.

We were wandering the Surface, in one of the few towns that had so far escaped the ravages of this massive war. A small village in the heart of Mexico, still full of life.

Jay was off flirting with some young girl in her early twenties. It was apparently going really well, because she was laughing and glancing over her shoulder to make sure her mother wasn't watching them.

Robin chuckled. "How long do you think that will last?" He gestured towards Jay and the girl.

"With the war, probably only a night, maybe two," I replied absently. "We could be called to fight at any time."

Robin scowled, his beautiful face scrunching up. "Please," he scoffed. "As if Phobos will ever let us fight."

My stomach clenched. Just the thought of my Robin out there, fighting for his life against bigger and tougher demons... No, I would die before I let that happen.

I guided him over to a park bench, and sat him on my lap. He grinned at me, his (currently) gold eyeliner glinting in the sun.

"Well look who's in a good mood," he purred, but I shook my head.

"I need to talk to you," I murmured.

Should I tell the truth? And if I did, would Robin believe that all I had done was for his own safety?

"About what?" he asked chirpily. He stroked my cheek with the back of his hand.

I glanced at Jay once more. He looked happy, relaxed. It was rare that I saw the demon look like that. I was about to ruin it... no. I had already ruined it. Now it was time to pay the price.

"I kidnapped Jesse," I blurted, instinctively squeezing Robin's waist.

He froze, all the cheer in his eyes dying. I felt a sudden wave of exhaustion, and I knew it could only be coming from him. It was a demonic instinct, to release your aura in a state of distress. "You did what?" he demanded.

I flinched. He sounded so serious. I couldn't remember the last time he had glared at me like that, with so much controlled anger. "I'm the one who kidnapped Jesse," I whispered. Please don't hate me.

Robin slowly slid off my lap and stood up, trembling. "This isn't funny," he snapped. "Aaron, what the Hell?"

I rose from the bench, casting my eyes to the ground. "It was Johanna... I'm so sorry."

At first, Robin said nothing. I could feel his beautiful eyes  burning into me, but I didn't dare lift my own to meet them. "What... did... you... do?" he managed through gritted teeth. His voice rose when I didn't answer immediately. "How could you?!" he cried.

Jay tore away from the Latina girl's gaze and glared at us in alarm. Oh shit. Now he was walking over here, ready to ask what was going on... Robin would hate me, but Jay might actually kill me.

"I didn't want to!" I protested. "Johanna told me that if I spied for her, you'd be safe -"

"You spied for her?" Robin cut me off, taking a few steps back. "For how long?"