Hot Green Tea~10

Ding! The bell above the front door of this small coffee shop I work at goes, signaling there's another customer. I look up from the small, yellow note pad I'm writing on to see a very pretty girl with honey blonde hair and grey eyes. She walks up to the place where you order your coffee or whatever you're getting.

"Hello, what can I get for you today?" I ask politely, trying not to stutter and make a fool of myself in front of this girl.

"Hi, I would like a medium hot green tea, please." She replies, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Nobody ever gets hot green tea though, I think.

I smile and nod. "Name?"

"Annabeth," she says.

I write her name down on the cup and give it to my coworker, Gina, who makes the drinks. Annabeth, pretty name. "That'll be $3.69 please." (I know somebody will make a joke about 69.)

She pulls a grey wallet out of her hand-bag and pulls out a five dollar bill. Before she hands it to me, she straightens it against the edge of the counter dividing us. "Sorry, it's a bad habit." Annabeth apologizes, even though it doesn't bother me at all.

"It's okay," I reply, taking the bill and giving her back $1.31. Gina gives me her cup of tea, which burns the palm of my hand a bit. I hand the cup to her after she puts away the change.

"Thank you," she says, smiling.

"You're welcome. Just doing my job."

She laughs, and I'll just say, that it's beautiful. She walks away to a small table for two though it's just her. Then she pulls out a book, City of Fallen Angels. I take a few more orders over the next four hours, Annabeth stays at the same table the whole time, reading. She didn't even get up to throw away the empty tea. Eventually, she leaves, an hour before I have to.

~

The next day, I do the normal routine of getting up and driving from my mom's, step-dad's and I's apartment to my job. As I am tying my apron in the back, the front door opens and the bell rings. I look up at see those same grey eyes as yesterday. She smiles when she sees me and walks up to the counter.

"Hello, again. Do you want the same as yesterday?" I ask, leaning my elbows on the countertop.

"Hey, yeah, but I'd like a large today." She replies.

I grab a large cup for hot drinks. "Why the change?" I ask, filling the cup up to right below the rim with tea. I have to make the drinks today since it's Gina's day off.

"Well, yesterday I was reading a book that was shorter than the one I am today. Therefore, I need more tea." She explains, pointing to book in her hand.

I laugh before handing her the cup. "$5.50, please."

She takes it and smiles before handing me a ten dollar bill. I give her back $4.50. "You know, I never got your name, " she says.

"Percy," I say.

"Well, Percy, thanks."

I smile. "You're welcome."

Annabeth sits down at the same table as yesterday and begins reading City of Lost Souls, which I'm assuming is the next book in that series. Zach, one of my coworkers, comes in a half an hour later. Together, we take and make orders.

At the end of my shift at 6 o' clock, no one except Annabeth is there. I realize she only has a few more pages left of her book so I stay and wash the tables around her. When she finishes she stands up and throws away her cup.

"Was it a good b-" I start to ask, but gets cut off my her hugging my waist and crying into my shirt. My arms hover above her. "What's wrong?"

Spoiler for City Of Lost Souls:

"M-Mal-Malec br-broke up!" She sobs, squeezing my waist tighter.

I have no idea what she's talking about, but I still wrap my arms around her hips. Annabeth's about nine inches shorter than me.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Is there another book in that series?" I ask, looking down at the blonde.

"Y-yes," she mumbles quietly, but not too quiet that I can't hear her.

"Then probably everything will be okay for... Malec in the end." I pause mid-sentence trying to remember what she called it.

"Hop-hopefully," she says, pulling away from me.

I frown a little but she doesn't notice. She looks up at me with bloodshot, grey eyes. I wipe the dry tears off her cheeks.

"Thank you, for letting me ruin your work shirt." She says, pointing at the small puddle of tears on my shirt.

I laugh before saying that it's okay.

She picks up her car keys and copy of City of Lost Souls. When she's halfway out the door I say, "Wait." She looks back at me. "What's your phone number?"

Annabeth walks back to me and takes the pen out of my pocket. She writes down her phone number on my wrist. She has small, neat handwriting unlike my messy handwriting.

"Bye," she says, handing the pen to me before rushing out the door.

~

3rd Person POV

Percy and Annabeth texted a lot. But only ever saw each other at the coffee shop. This was because Annabeth was homeschooled. They saw each other a lot more when Percy asked her out on a date through a napkin. He wrote, Annabeth, I really like you. So. Um. Will you go out with me? He wasn't poetic and Annabeth knew that. She already knew his liking for her when he stated writing cheesy pick up lines on her cup of tea. During their first kiss which was on their first date, Percy knew then that she would always be his girl. His girl who cried about fictional characters and drank hot green tea when no one else did.

A/N: I don't like the ending, but whatever. Hope you enjoyed it!

<3 -Anne <3