The Sentinals

A group of Sentinels stood in a half circle near the edge of the fire in the elm grove. Not only did they serve to protect and guard the village, but they also provided protection to the villagers in times of emergency. Aloi had never seen them before as she'd never traveled to the borders of Grovenglen or past through the gates to Elementia beyond.

The Faery Sentinels were clothed plainly in flaxen colored linen pants and tunic. They wore a thick hemp belt with many straps and pouches that carried all manner of herb, potion, crystal, and other magical items. They each employed a wood spear tipped in sharp polished stone. The most advanced sentinels had their spears tipped in quartz crystal. Beginners used obsidian, and through the ranks, ruby, amber, emerald, sapphire, amethyst, up to quartz. After the Elders, there was no more respected life path than a Sentinel.

Aloi watched their backs, their colorful array of wings stood tall toward the crowd. They faced the flames and cast various spells, tossing magically infused dusts into the flames. They waited for the Elders to squelch the torrent of destruction.

Aloi beamed. She thought the Sentinels were remarkable and envied their skills in magic. In that moment, she wanted nothing more than to stand at their sides and cast spells along with them. She tried to pull Trin even closer toward them but she dug her heels into the mud and would go no further.

"We mustn't," Trin yelled.

"Fine," Aloi said and stamped her foot. "I will go by myself. And to think, you're part of the Symposium and you don't care to see the magic?"

Trin stared at the ground and then looked up at her sister. "Please, be careful," she said.

It was difficult for Aloi to see her sister looking so defeated. It was not within her nature to be timid or fearful. She was usually so perfect in her words and deeds. Aloi thought there must have been too much negative energy clouding her natural inner strength. Aloi was not empathic the way her sister was. Nevertheless, she could imagine that the flood of emotions from the crowd would be unbearable.

Aloi walked slowly toward the Sentinels trying to remain unseen. She weaved from tree trunk to tree trunk hiding as she went. She knelt down at the base of one tree trunk and put one knee and one hand on the ground. The Sentinels were chanting but she did not know the ancient language and so she could not understand their words. The voices did not sound panicked. They sounded steady and true.

  (Click or tap the star if you like what you read)