Fire

Aloi ran toward the direction of the smell. The smoke was very dense there and she could hear the chatter of voices in the distance too garbled and far away to understand their words.

A doe and two fawns scurried past her.

"Wait," Aloi yelled. "Wait, please!" They had weaved through the garden toward the west grove of maples before she could speak to them. Aloi ran farther and farther passing no other Faeries until she slammed right into the back of somebody and bent their wing by accident.

She stumbled to the ground and fell on top of that person. She pulled herself up she saw that it was Trin.

"What's happening," she said.

There were many other Faeries clustered in front of the sisters. They were all staring towards the fire.

"Oh, Aloi, this is just horrible. Somebody left a lantern on from the ceremony last night and it caught fire. Now there is a child stuck. He's up in a tree and no one can get close enough to climb up and rescue him without being burned."

Tears welled in Trin's eyes. She was strongly empathic. She could sense the emotions of everyone around her, probably more intensely than they felt them themselves. It was her gift.

Aloi put her arm around Trin and squeezed her. "Is there nothing we can do?" Aloi asked.

There was a crack and a boom and the earth shook beneath their feet and Aloi rocked side to side before regaining her balance. One of the ancient Elms had fallen.

Faeries gasped and cried out. It was a foul omen.

"The child is still safe!" someone yelled. The news spread in harsh whispers through the crowd until it rubbed across Aloi's ears and she relaxed into relief.

"The Elders are coming!" Another smear of whispers and garble informed her. Aloi grabbed Trin by her wrist and pulled her sister through the masses of Faery bodies. They weaved in and around. Nobody stopped them or got in their way. They were too focused on the fire and the trapped child to even notice the sisters walked through.

"I want to see the magic," Aloi said.

"Wait, wait," Trin protested. "I don't want to get any closer." The crowd was thinner when they approached the Elm Grove. Most people shared the same sentiments as Trin.

  (Click or tap the star if you like what you read)