A Lecture And A Demonstration

They reached the radish patch in the garden. The air smelled sweet with the damp earth and greenery. There was a hum in the air. The Greenkeeps chanted in the distance.

The Faeries of Grovenglen rely on the earth for everything. They are not skilled in the ways of stone or metal. Everything that they used in their daily lives derived from the plants around them. Tools were carved of wood or stone and all of their clothing was created by the weavers who harvested cotton and silk and hemp and other natural fibers. Their homes were dug within the ground or built upon the boughs of high trees or burrowed within the trunks just like Aloi's family. Nothing went to waste. They were strict herbivores, no animals were ever harmed by Faeries for food or otherwise. They ingested only plants, greens, vegetables, roots, nuts, beans, and fruits.

The Faeries were also highly in tune with the motions of the planet. They knew when Elementia would shift its shell of crust that quaked the earth or release gases and lava from a volcano of Volcanire. They knew when the rains would come. They knew the weather a week in advance just by watching the plants and animals around them or by watching the shapes the stars made in the sky. The other three nations of Elementia often said that the gods created Faeries to be a living representation of the planet itself.

"Wow, the radishes are lovely," Trin said. She leaned down and rubbed her hands along the fluffy green tops that protruded above the dirt. She took a deep breath and sighed. "There is something I have been meaning to talk to you about, Aloi."

"This doesn't sound very nice," Aloi said. She was sure it had nothing to do with her wings. It must've been true what she said about Bo. She really believed Bo was simply telling her stories. This probably had something to do with her daydreaming again.

"Well, Mama and I spoke before you got back from the Mirrored Pools. She's worried about you. We both know she worries a lot," Trin chuckled but there was no joy in it. "She feels that you have no direction. She doesn't want you to end up doing something that makes you unhappy. We all know you were born to be a Greenkeep and you should be. You get nothing but joy from spending time in the gardens. Don't you think it's time that you began, or at least considered, a basic apprenticeship with one of the Master Greenkeeps?"

Aloi sighed and growled. "But I'm just a child. Other children of 11 years don't have to do apprenticeships."

"That's because not all children are gifted like you, Aloi. One of the things that the Elders have taught me, and that they advocate to all of us, is to accept the gifts the gods have given you. Some Faeries go most of their lives without truly understanding their calling. Your gift is completely clear. You know it, everyone in the village knows it. You are blessed and you should accept it."

Aloi hung her head. Trin had no idea how right she was. But not in the way she thought. She had heard the same lecture many times before. It wasn't the first time that someone had taken notice of her skills in the garden. Of course, these were just their personal family gardens and not the ones used to serve the entire village. Who knows, maybe she had no skill in the magical arts used by the Greenkeeps.

"Really I've heard it all before, Trin," Aloi said. She rubbed the skin between her eyes. Often times when she received energies through her third eye the skin pinched and tickled. She didn't know what the messages were. But they bombarded her. They flowed through her body and she felt a tingling behind her belly. It was pleasant but confusing.

"Well maybe it's time you listened," Trin said. She put her hand softly upon Aloi's shoulder. Pinch squeaked and nuzzled his forehead into her chest. This was his way of telling her that Trin was right. But not just about her skills in the gardens, also about owning up to her new-found ability of flying.

"Shhh, Pinch," Aloi said and tugged at his ear gently as a way of showing her annoyance.

"What?" Trin said. "So, you're telling me that Bo wasn't lying."

Aloi sucked in some air and her heart pounded against her chest. Her head felt swimmy like she was immersed in water. "I--I--I," she stammered.

"Show me! Show me now," Trin said.

Aloi tucked her head between her shoulders. "Be quiet! Someone will hear you."

Trin scanned the tree line behind their garden. There was no one nearby. But just in case--. Trin grabbed her by the wrist and Pinch fell to the ground. He landed on his feet and hopped away behind the Pine Grove and toward the clearing where the Mirrored Pools were.

Trin followed him into the tree line. Aloi stumbled behind her as she was pulled. Bo flew ahead of them and sat by the brush where she first saw Aloi fly. Nobody would be at the Mirrored Pools this time of night. Besides, most of the village was involved or preoccupied with the High Summer Ceremony at the community garden.

"Show me, please Aloi." Trin sounded worried and this worried Aloi in turn.

Aloi took a deep breath and steadied her mind. She did what she could to clear the dark green and red spots from her aura. They made her uneasy. She inhaled through her nose and out her mouth, all the while summoning a golden and white light in through her third eye that would cleanse her spirit.

She lowered her head and took a short jump off the ground. She stayed aloft by flapping gently. The light of the full moon ignited her skills further. She had a sudden urge to bolt straight toward the stars and so she did. She ascended higher and higher and higher until she looked down and the seven Mirrored Pools beneath her reflected nothing but the points of stars in the blackness of the sky.

She flew to the east away from the village gardens and toward the cold lands of Glacientice. It was impossible to get that far nor would she want to suffer the bitter winds of that land. When she had enough, she dove down, down, straight as an arrow. Her wings beat behind her head. She could hear them, clitch clatch clitch clatch. They sounded like palm leaves slapping together.

She skimmed her toes along the pool as she came to a stop in front of Trin. Of course, the waters did not move, but the coolness touching her skin, however momentarily, made her feel like herself again. She could not help but smile. Even if this moment meant her life was going to change forever or end in a mysterious and horrible way.

Trin beamed. Aloi could not think of another time when her sister appeared as proud of her. It was also sad because it was a fleeting moment and there was no one besides the four of them to know it ever happened.

  (Click or tap the star if you like what you read)