Part One-Chapter One

Killian

"New neighbors!" Kaiden, my seven year old brother screamed, running out the front door and peering over the white fence. I rolled my eyes. New neighbors with kids just meant I once again had to prove that I was king of the neighborhood. I was top dog. And they better know it too.

"C'mon Killi!" Kylie, my five year old sister said, pulling on my hand. I sighed and let her lead me to the fence, letting her sit on my shoulders so that she could see. She was a tiny little thing and it took no effort at all on my part. Plus, I was the tallest and strongest in my grade. I could easily support my tiny sister's weight on my broad shoulders.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a bit egotistical. I'm handsome and strong and tall and all the girls love me. I might only be nine, but I know a bit about girls thanks to my older brothers, Kevin, Kalvin and Kyle, and my older sister Karyn.

"Uppy! Kay! Uppy!" My two year old sister begged Kaiden. He smiled at Karsyn and lifted her up so she could sit on his shoulders. He was strong too but not as strong as me.

The four of us watched as a family got out of a van, a mom, dad, teenage boy, and two girls, one about my age and the other about Kaiden's.

The father had very dark skin and the mother too but her skin was more milk chocolate than dark chocolate. The kids skin reminded me of the mocha coffee my mom liked to drink. They were very dark, but a bit creamy at the same time.

All of them had dark hair, but the father was bald and the boy had a buzz cut like I did. The mom had tiny shoulder length braids and the older girl had braids with beads while the smaller one had long curls.

I had to admit, the girl was the prettiest I had ever seen. She looked- what's the word Karyn used- oh yeah, exotic! She looked exotic.

The two girls spotted us and the older one grabbed the younger one and pulled her towards the fence. The older girl had golden eyes with green specks while the younger one had light electric blue eyes that contrasted with her skin.

"Hi! I'm Abby!" The older girl announced, smiling at us. She had pink braces. "This is my sister Nikki and over there is my brother Tyson!" The smaller girl looked at us with her big blue eyes, her long dark lashes making them stand out even more. She smiled slightly and I caught a glimpse of her missing front teeth.

"I'm Killian. On my shoulders is Kylie and next to me is my brother Kaiden and on his shoulders is Karsyn," I introduced, unable to tear my eyes away from the tiny blue eyed beauty.

Abby moved her hands around really fast in a weird way and Nikki watched and nodded, doing something similar with her own hands. 

"What are you doin' wif your hands?" Kylie asked.

"Talking," Abby replied. We all looked at her in confusion.

"I'm telling her what you said in sign language. She can't read lips very well yet and she can't hear," Abby explained.

"Do we need to talk louder?" Kylie asked. Abby shook her head.

"It won't do anything. She's been deaf since birth," Abby explained. I understood. In class we'd learned about deaf people and blind people. Blind people couldn't see and deaf people couldn't hear.

"Why?" Kylie asked. Abby shrugged.

"Dunno. She was born deaf," was Abby's response. I had a feeling that Kylie was going to be asking a lot of questions about deaf people at dinner tonight.