Chapter 11

Disclaimer- I do not own Death Note only Claire and her story

Enjoy!

********************************

"I apologize for questioning you all like that, but I'm afraid I had no other choice. I have determined that Kira is not among us." L states as the others breathe a sigh of relief.

"Ryuuzaki, how can you be certain that none of us are Kira?" Mr. Yagami questions.

"Well, to be honest, from the beginning I set a number of traps that would reveal if any of you were Kira. But after speaking with you one-on-one, I don't feel the need." He confessed just as his cellphone rang causing him to answer with holding the phone in between his thumb and index finger. "Excuse me... Hello... Understood. I'm just about finished up here anyway. You have the key, so let yourself in." He hung up before looking back towards us. "Watari is on his way."

*******************************************

Watari, who was dressed in a tux and hat, walked in and bowed in front of us. He really is formal, isn't he?

"Lady and gentlemen, it is an honor to meet you." He spoke as he was bowing.

"This person is Watari." Aizawa whispered off to the side.

"Um, what about your usual outfit?" Matsuda asked Watari even though the answer should be obvious.

"If I dressed like that, then I would be announcing to the world that I am Watari." Watari explained for Matsuda in his usual polite tone.

"Oh, right." Matsuda said rather sheepishly.

"Ordinarily, I would never show my face to you." Watari told the task force since I've technically already seen his face before. "The fact that I am here proves that L trusts you."

"Now that you mention it, I do feel kind of honored." Matsuda gave a nervous laugh as he rubbed the back of his head.

"I have brought the items you requested. It's all here." Watari spoke to L as he looked at his suitcase.

"Items?" One of the task force members questioned.

"Good, could you please pass them out to everybody?" L asks him.

"Yes," Watari opened the suitcase which revealed fake police badges. "Everyone, these are your new police IDs."

"Uhhh, what for?" Aizawa asked, clearly confused.

"Our names and ranks are false." Chief Yagami observed as he received his fake badge.

"Why would you give us fake IDs?" Matsuda asked L.

"Mr. Matsuda," I spoke to him directly which gained his attention. "We have determined that Kira needs a name and face to kill someone. If or when we confront him with this in mind, the answer should be quite obvious. But if you still do not get it, put it this way, the less Kira knows about you, the longer you will live."

"That's correct." L agreed with me as he drank his sugar filled coffee or was it tea? It was hard to tell from this angle.

"But," Ukita started. "Of all people, the police shouldn't use fake IDs."

"That's enough." Chief Yagami silenced them. "What choice do we really have given the circumstances. As long as we're working on this case, I think we're going to need all the protection we can get. It would be foolish not to use them."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Matsuda says.

Remember, anytime you're in a situation where you have to give out your name, make sure to use the name from the fake ID, understood?" L asks. "And make sure not to take them out in the presence of other police officers. I shouldn't need to tell you that that would cause problems for us."