Chapter 18

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note

Enjoy~

****************

Claire's P.O.V.

By now, the two had begun to form a crowd around them as they played. They even had a person to keep score and everything. It took all my will not to laugh as I overheard some girls talking about L and Light from the sidelines. It appeared that someone had a little crush on my dear brother. However, my amusement immediately stopped and turned into slight embarrassment as I heard a boy talk about me.

"Can you believe that they both managed to get perfect scores on the entrance exam?!" One boy exclaimed to his friend next to him.

"I know, right? And then there's that short girl who also got a perfect score."

"Yeah, she was pretty cute." The first boy said with murmurs of agreement coming from his friends.

"She looked a bit young, but she can't be that much younger than us if she's in college." One of the other boys noted.

"Yeah, and that dress she wore made her look so innocent and beautiful. Do you think she'd say yes if I asked her on a date?"

Yeah... By that point I decided that L and Light wouldn't mind if I left a little bit early. I'll just wait for them on the sidewalk outside of the court and away from everyone crowded around.

************************************

    "Just as I expected, you beat me." L spoke in his monotone voice as we walked along, them not questioning why I had left.

    "It's been awhile since I've played so seriously, Ryuuga." Light admitted.

    "You guys were both probably out of practice as well." I gave my input.

    "I suppose so." Light gave a slight laugh. "Hey, I'm thirsty. And, Ryuuga, there's something I'd like to ask you, so do you guys want to go and get a drink?"

    "I've lost the game, so I'll tell you whatever I can." L gave in. "But before that, I have something I must tell the both of you."

    Oh Lord, I'm gonna have to start acting again, aren't I?

    "What is it?" Light inquired 'innocently'.

    "... I suspect that one of you two are Kira." Annnnnnd here's where I start acting! "If you still want to ask me something, go ahead."

    Both Light and myself stopped in our tracks, but Light only let out a laugh.

    "I'm Kira?" Yup, I'm surprised you need to question it.

    "Well, even though I say I suspect you, it's only a one percent possibility."

    Well, that was definitely a smart choice of phrasing. It shows Light that no matter how small the suspicion, L is still willing to look into it.

    "That aside, once I'm sure that neither of you are Kira and because you both have sharp reasoning abilities, I'd like for the two of you to work with me on this investigation." And with that L started walking away with Light following behind.

    "But wait, why would you suspect Kuro of all people?" Light asked as he caught up to L. "I mean, she's only a kid."

    "That may be true," L started noticing the visibly irritated look on my face. "But she has proven herself to be highly intelligent."

"But still!" Light defended. "There's no way that Kuro would have anything to do with Kira. I've known her for years, and I know she's not that type of person."