Chris Evans - Red

~Chris Evans~

A/N: Fluffy one-shot inspired by a photo of him with red pants, snow gently falling around him.

*

Of all mornings to be late.  I cursed my old apartment building and it's ancient electricity.  The sudden snow storm last night had knocked out our power as I slept.  Thankfully my internal alarm clock went off shortly after my actual alarm clock would have.  I was, however, running super late.  I had no time to fuss with my daily make-up routine.  It was either take a shower and feel fresh, or put on make-up and fake the freshness.  I opted to smell fresh, rather than look it.  I could always spruce up during bathroom breaks if I felt like it later.  I threw the basics into my purse; blush and mascara.

Wrapping my red oversized knitted scarf around my neck, I grabbed my bag and proceeded to leave my apartment, bracing for the cruel freezing temperatures of a frigid winter morning in Boston.  Stepping out into the sunlight, I shivered, my breath billowing around me, and buttoned up my peacoat.  Thankfully most of the sidewalks were shoveled and salted.  Even paired with my trusty snow boots, I knew I'd still find the slick hidden patches of ice, just waiting to humiliate me.  But there was no time to worry about that right now.  I had to get to work.

I was thankful to only live a few blocks from the office.  It saved money, not needing a car.  I could even get groceries within walking distance.  Sure, it was a pain during the winter, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make.  It beat not living on ramen noodles every night.

I came to the usual busy crosswalk and waited with a small crowd of others also on their way to work.  Gentle snowflakes began falling and instead of delighting in the idea of snow like I once had as a child, I could only pray the sidewalks would be clear again after work.  I felt fidgety.  I needed to get moving.  I absolutely hated being late.  I prided myself on punctuality.  Finally, the signal changed, allowing pedestrians to safely cross.  I stepped down off the curb, clutching the neck of my peacoat to keep out the cold as best I could. 

Brushing past the oncoming pedestrians as usual, I paid no attention to the blur of strangers passing.  But for some reason, I felt the uncontrollable need to look back.  Someone was wearing red pants, standing out against the whiteness of everything else around us.  I supposed that was what first caught my eye.  I stopped at the curb and turned, glancing at the owner of the red pants.  He was already on the opposite curb where I had begun.  He, too, had stopped and looked back my way.  Embarrassed to be caught staring, I quickly looked away before looking back.  He still looked my way.  We both slightly smiled at one another before we each pressed forward to our destinations.

I felt relieved walking into work only fifteen minutes late.  I quickly sat down quietly at my desk and shrugged out of my coat, leaving it across the back of my chair, and peeled my red scarf off, draping it across my lap.  My red scarf.  I wonder if that's what caught his eye, Mr. Red Pants Guy.  I felt myself smile as I logged into my computer.  He was cute.  Very cute.  I only caught a tiny glimpse, but that was all I needed.

The hours passed slowly at work.  By the time five rolled around, I felt too sluggish to make the trek back home.  But wrapping my red scarf around me revived me instantly, reminding me of him.  It felt silly, wondering what a stranger was currently doing.  Was he working?  On his way home now like I was?  That thought got me moving.  Maybe I would pass him again on my way back. 

No dice.  I kept my eyes peeled for his bright red pants but all I saw were boring browns and beiges with the occasional blue jeans.  Defeated, I whipped myself up something quick for dinner and ate it alone on the couch, watching DVR'd episodes of America's Next Top Model.