CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Last night’s flashback

Walter was feeling extremely depressed about what had occurred at Jennie's wedding. His mind was all over the place, thinking about Laura and that man she was dancing with. He was also thinking about Laura's blistering hatred towards him. He was puzzled as to whether or not he was becoming attached to her. The way he waited for her to return, and shouting at her for coming late. He had lied to his sister about his love and marriage to Laura, as well his aunt and Hannah. He hated remembering what had happened to him in his past.

*A flashback from Walter's past* 

"Mom! Please don't go! Dad, please stop her." said Ella with teary eyes and lying on her father's feet. Mr. James Scott picked her up and wiped away her tears.

"We’ve gotten divorced. You have to live with your aunt now." Mr. James was attempting to explain the situation to her.

Walter was standing at the corner, watching his parents parting ways. He was only six, and he was suffering through an incurable pain. He ran towards his mother and latched onto her wrist.

"Don't go mom! Please don't go!" he was sobbing. 

"I can't stay anymore, dear. You have to live with your father." She said, pushing him back and leaving him there, crying and sobbing. The little boy cried for his mother, but she had already departed. Forever.

* End of Walter's past flashback

This horrible scene echoed through his mind, and it was pushing him towards insanity. It was 12:00 A.M., he was still in his office. He dreaded his miserable life, the fear of falling in love, fear of becoming attached to someone as innocent, caring, and loving as Laura, fear of if his lie being discovered, he would become more miserable than he already was.

"Sir! Sir! Sir!" he heard his secretory calling him.

"Oh, yeah!" Walter suddenly escaped his dreadful thoughts.

"It's been an hour since you sat down here alone. All meetings are over, it's already late. You should leave now." She said as she gathered the scattered files on his table. 

Walter left the keys to the guard, and left for home. He went to a well-known club and ordered bottles of expensive wine for himself. Walter was known worldwide as a notorious businessman and the owner of James co-operation, therefore, he had a VIP reservation and special wines created exclusively for his enjoyment. He poured himself a small glass, and drank it all within half a second. On the front of his table sat a group of five men playing cards. The guys had been eying him for a long time. Walter ignored the group and drank another glass of wine, slowly this time. One of the guys walked towards Walter and patted him on the back.

"So, here we have Mr. Walter, right? The world famous businessman. What a mess! Look at yourself, I feel bad for you." He laughed and it made him uneasy. 

Walter quickly shrugged him off. The effect of drinking the superb wine was now overcoming his body. 

"Well, well. Don't be angry. I see a man in despair, which certainly means the loss of a loved one. We know a lot about young men like you. Want a woman for a ...." before he could utter another word, Walter held himself, managed to get up, and slapped him across the face. The man punched him back with all his might. Walter was far stronger than him. He grabbed hold of his arms in an attempt to get over him, and he socked him twice. His friends and everyone around them separated the two and managed to control the situation.

"You F*** like your father, you want to sleep with women. The dark blood in your veins will stay the same…" Before he could insult him more, Walter shrugged off the people restraining him, walked over to the offender, grabbed his shirt collar, and warned him.