CHAPTER TWENTY

Monday eventually came around, and I was preparing to get back to work tomorrow. I was just doing my own laundry, something I told the butler I could do myself. Really, it gave me something to do. I heard a woman shouting, wow... Her voice was so annoying. I couldn't recall the butler or Walter mentioning someone visiting, so I stopped what I was doing, and headed in the direction of the yelling.

"Call that bitch immediately! Hurry up!" shouted a woman dressed in blue wearing long skirt. She was in mid twenties, she was in the lounge, and I approached her carefully, asking with curiosity, "Hello, is something the matter?"

"Oh," she paused and faced me, "So this is that sneaky fox." She said in a fierce tone.

That was rude, I remained calm as I replied, speaking in a lower tone, "Excuse me?"

She then laughed wickedly and then said pointing her finger at me, "She is that woman who Walter married! What a piece of shit, this is ridiculous! "

"And just who are you?" I wanted to slap her right in face, "And what gives you the right to be in here?"

"Well I am... Was Walter's close friend Hannah Joseph. Her ex-fiance and lover too." she grinned.

"And what do you want?" I asked her, getting extremely annoyed.

"Seems like you are clever enough, why don't you guess?" she asked, getting snarky, "You married Walter so that you can capture all his property and business. I know what kind of woman you are. Women like you marry rich guys just to take their property and live a life that you want. You low-class cheap -" before she could have said another word I slapped her face.

"Get out now!" I shouted with angry, "Before I call the guards for trespassing and harassment!"

"I will prove to Walter what kind of woman you are," she glared at me, I turned to the butler and he went to inform the guards, "you worthless creature!" She kept shouting until the guards dragged her out of my house.

I ended up heading back to my room. That woman's words hurt, calling me worthless again and again? Was it true, well, maybe to her and Walter. But I was a doctor, having a fairly successful career. I went to the terrace just to try to calm myself, the view I witness was truly a million dollar view.

Walter finally arrived home shortly afterwards. He entered the house and gave his coat and the butler, "Where's Laura?" asked Walter to butler. Noting she wasn't in her usual spot playing video games.

"She is at the terrace, master," replied the butler.

He ran upstairs and shouted for me, which actually surprised me. At this point I was starting to cry, the woman's words actually starting to get to me. I turned around, and he noticed a tear running down my cheek.

"What's the matter, Laura?" he asked again. I did not respond to him, I just didn't feel like it. He took a few steps closer to me, "Laura, why are you crying?" he tried again.

I ran towards him and hugged him. I put my arms around his chest and just let it out. This was the first time I was so close to him. I held him tightly with my arms all around him. My face was pressed against his chest.

Walter had a weird feeling. He wasn't able to shrug me off. He put his hands on my hair and rubbed them slowly.

He put his hands on my cheeks and made me look into his eyes, He wiped my tears with his fingers. "Laura, can you explain to me what happened?"

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself as I asked him, "Do you think I married you because you have money. Do you think I am a low valued person so you can do whatever you want?"

"Who made you like this?" he asked.

"Your lovely ex-fiancé, Miss Hannah. But wait, why I am telling this to you. It doesn't matter to you," I pushed him away.
"I know we have a distant relationship but it's not that, you are something to me," he tried to speak, but I did not want to listen to him and went downstairs.

I closed the door of my room. I went to bed. Something was different today. He was very close to me. He even wiped my tears. Maybe he was showing his a bit part of a human side.