CHAPTER FIVE

Laura's POV

        After getting less than four hours of sleep, I slowly sat up in bed, bones aching. It was a rather cold Friday morning and the only reason I was up so early was so I'd have some extra time to read over more of Walter's bio data, and perhaps understand it, and him, better. I wanted to know more about him, I didn’t know much except his name, age, and other personal information critical to his medical health. He was odd, a tiny bit creepy, but he seemed like a very interesting person. And being the curious woman I was, I wanted to know everything.

        My eyes hardly left the clock the whole day as patients came in and out; a continuous flow. Thankfully there were less than usual, no patients for biopsy or requiring serious aid. For once in my doctoring career, I was feeling relaxed and on the edge of content. Once the clock's hand reached six, I meandered out of my office for some coffee. When I got to the break room, I couldn't find John or Jennie, which was a little worrisome, but I guess they had other plans, maybe patients kept them too busy.

        At 7 pm, I had gathered my things to leave the building and right as I opened the door, I heard someone call my name."Dr. Laura?" I glanced over my shoulder to see who the voice belonged to.

        "Mr. Walter," I said in surprise.

         "I think I’m late," he mumbled, “Too late, I guess.” He hung his head, disappointed in himself.

        Something about that pathetic expression made me turn to face him full on. "No, it’s okay. Here, let's go back to my office," I said, closing the door and walking back into the building. We walked through hall three, which was quite a bit ways from my office.

        The walk there was, at first, silent, but as soon as we got past hallway three, he started to talk. “So, how do you deal with all the different kinds of people?" He asked, turning his head to face me.

          "Well, I find it amusing and I think it's an honor that I even get to deal with them.” I stood up straight, pride making my face glow bright.

         "Interesting.” He grinned. The rest of the walk he didn't say anything. I decided to skip my office and just take him straight to the radiology room.

        "You’ll be better before you know it," I tried to encourage him while prepping him for the test.

        "Hopeful thinking, but I’m still just waiting to see. Playing it by ear." He replied steadily.

        "So, what did you do before this, or rather, what did you do for a living?” I asked, not looking up as I started the tech.

         "Should I even tell you? Does a doctor need to know?” He half joked, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "You've convinced me; okay, I was a business man!" He laughed; a hearty bark.

         "Your surgery date is December 17th, okay? Don't lose hope; really, you’re going to be okay." I smiled.

          "If there’s even a point in -you know what, forget it," he mumbled in his low voice.

          "Where are your parents? If they live near you, they should be here to support and help you through this,” I commented cautiously, knowing that not all parents were the best supporters.

          Walter's gaze fell to the ground as he murmured, “Dead. No support from a tombstone.”

          My smile immediately disappeared and I placed a tentative hand on his slumped shoulder, “I’m so sorry, Mr. Walter.”

            "It’s nothing; I just know I’m going to die anyways, so why should I waste all your time and money?" He looked back up to me, his eyes slightly red and holding the possibility of tears. He stood up, “Thank you, Doctor, I’ll be going now.” He stared at me for a moment longer before leaving the room. 

          'Again with the staring! So creepy and downright odd, I wish I knew why he did that.' I grumbled in the confines of my mind.

          "Why are you so late? Is everything okay? Why do you look upset? Did something happen?" Jennie dumped the onslaught of questions as soon as I walked through the door to the house.

            "Give me a break, will you! I had to deal with one last patient, he came in late!” I grumbled, annoyance lacing my voice.

           "Oh,” She instantly calmed down, “Sorry....I was worried."

           I smiled softly but my rumbling stomach kept me from saying that it was okay. Instead; "Jennie, I need pizza, please!" I pleaded with her, about ready to get down on my hands and knees.

        "Sure, I’ll go order some!" And she left for the kitchen, “Plain cheese, right?” 

        “Please!” I called back to her.

        I once again woke up early, the wind tossing snowflakes against the window with a cold bite.  The berries on the trees were barely visible and the flower bed frozen over. Crisp autumn leaves and broken twigs lay in a rustling multitude on the ground. Jennie called me downstairs for breakfast.

        "Dr. Sam will be doing the biopsy? Who did he appoint for the next helper?” I asked eager to know the answer.

        "He told me that either of us can join, but the patient has to agree with it as well,” she answered, taking a sip of her coffee, her slender fingers wrapped carefully around the warm mug.

        "I'll go for it, I'll do it," I said with confidence. Jennie looked at me curiously, but shrugged it off and went back to drinking her coffee.

        "I’m not late today, right?” Sounded a familiar voice. I turned around to see Mr. Walter walking towards me.

          "Of course not!" I laughed. We talked about his procedure and I explained everything to him in painstaking detail. I'm not even sure he understood half of what I said. I showed him his cranial ultrasound which detected the abnormal cells. Mr. Walter shifted closer so he could study the image better, his head turned to the side slightly. I could smell his scent, it was mind blowing. My heart started pounding and my hands were freezing up from being so close to the tantalizing man.

        I backed away from him slightly as he said, "I think my surgery will end with my death."

        "Now, we have wonderful doctors here, why would you say that?” I asked, keeping my hands in my lap.

        "I know," he sighed depressingly.

        "Okay, then let's make a deal,” I stated certainly.

        "Deal? I don't make deals with my doctors." He shook his head, obviously uninterested.

        "What about a promise?" I tried to compromise.

        "I can do a promise," he said, waiting for my explanation. 

        "I just want you to promise me that you will make it through this, and when you do, I get to rub it in your face.” I grinned, making the last part sound like a joke.

        He laughed halfheartedly, “Right. Whatever, I promise, Doc.”

        "Let’s shake on it,” I held out my hand, and he slowly grasped it with his much larger hand, shaking gently, as if in fear that I would break.

        “It’s a promise.” He confirmed and stood, leaving the room until next time. I found myself sighing in relief, slouching back in my swiveling chair. It would be a challenge to raise his spirits back up, but I could do it. 

A/N: YEAH what Walter did is something really weird and you won't like his personality either... This reason will be revealed later!!!!
Anyways on the other hand who likes John the funniest person ever?? 
Walter or John comment and tell me

PS: this guy in the pic is Chris Pine omgg hot *_*

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE
Kisses