The Lady: Part. 8

Flying through the sky under the cover of darkness feels so exhilarating; it actually helps me focus and deal with my grief. I know Troy and Kelly will be real pissed when they wake and find me gone, but I have to do this.

As soon as I see the first glimmer of sunrise, I touch down in a quiet side street.

When I pull down my hood and take off the blackout mask I look like a regular guy with a backpack, going to work. And my wearing all black is fitting, given that I'm in mourning.

I like London at this time of the morning; it's so quiet, the streets empty; I feel like I'm in one of those zombie-apocalypse movies. Yet in just a short time from now, the place will explode with people spilling out from underground stations and busses, creating the maddening chaos that is a London rush hour.

But right now, I'm in no rush. I'm enjoying the momentary calm as I make my way to Darby & Associates. Clearing my head of anger, I think of how I'll approach Topknot guy in a way that seems legitimate.

It's a difficult one as there is no obvious way to approach a complete stranger and start asking him intimate questions about my wife. I might have to go with the flow when I see him, just let it roll.

Turning the corner, my heart sinks when I see the familiar red brick of the office building. It was within these walls that I last saw Tan alive, with him.

And it's while I'm re-visiting this scene that a girls voice interrupts me before I'm engulfed with anger, again, "Hello, are you here for Darby & Associates?" She asks.

I flounder, "Erm-no-I mean-yes-erm, I mean, do you work here?" I ask, realizing I'm stood at the entrance, blocking the door.

"Yes. I'm the receptionist and I need to get in to open the office," she says, looking irritated.

"I jump from the door, "Sorry."

She smiles and presses a card against the panel that activates and opens the door, "No problem. Like I asked, are you here for a morning meeting? It's just that I don't have anything in the calendar," she says, staring into her cell-phone.

"Erm, no. I mean yes, the tall guy, with the dark hair," I circle my hand around my head, "and the real cool Topknot..."

..."Marko?" She cuts in, looking slightly bewildered.

"Yes. Of course he's called Marko," I say, guessing that I'm appearing like I'm one fry short of a happy meal.

She opens the door, steps in and closes it a little, protectively, "It sounds like your describing Marko. But he has no morning meetings today," she says, closing the door further.

When I slam my foot in the door to prevent her from closing it, I see the sudden fear in her eyes and know for sure I'm coming across crazier than a shit-house rat, "No, I'm not here for a meeting. I'm, erm, I'm Clyde, his cousin from the states. I just wanted to say hi to Marko. Can I wait inside?"

She peeks out of the slit in the door, "I'm sorry Clyde, but I can't admit unscheduled personnel. Why not wait across the road in the coffee shop, your cousin's usually an early bird, he should be here soon," she says.

I remove my foot but keep my hand on the door, "Thank you, that's a real good suggestion," I smile, and take my hand from the door.

The door is slammed in my face with force. Jeez, she means business, for sure. And, where did I get 'Clyde' from? I think, as I cross the road to the coffee shop.

I order an Americano and sit by the window with a clear view of Darby & Associates.