VI.

Niall jumped at the sound of his phone, quickly grabbing the device and answered without checking the screen.

"Hello?"

"Hey it's Harry," a raspy voice chimed.

He exhaled a breath he'd been subconsciously holding, "Harry, hi."

"I was wondering," he started. "Are you busy this afternoon? Thought we could get lunch or something, I'd ask you for drinks but..."

Niall had walked over to the mirror, assessing his face and knew he couldn't completely hide the bruising. "Actually I'm okay with drinks tonight, my son is going to a sleepover anyways."

"Really," he perked up on the other end.

Niall touched his puffy cheek, silently wincing at the extreme sensitivity under his eye. "Yeah, um - Kings Landing at 8 o'clock?"

"Great, yeah. I'll meet you there," Harry agreed before they both hung up.

Niall sighed, digging around in one of the drawers in the bathroom, pulling out a small makeup bag. Surprisingly Niall was a pro at concealing his bruising, only normally he doesn't go out in public so soon but he needed to get out of the house.

And he knew agreeing to meet Harry during the night, at a poorly lit bar would be enough extra coverage. 

Now to get past Liam without being interrogated.

_____

Holden wrapped his arms around Niall's neck, giving him a tight hug and carefully kissed his cheek.

"I love you daddy, I'll be extra good. Okay?" He promised.

Niall smiled, rubbing a hand over his back. "I know you will sweetheart, you're always good. Have a fun time alright.

He nodded, "Are you okay daddy, I can stay." Holden touched his visibly swollen cheek and furrowed his brow in concern.

"I'm good sweetie, don't worry." Niall quickly assured and kissed the tip of his nose, "Now go on. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon."

Holden reluctantly pulled away, picking up his small overnight bag and went towards Liam who'd been quietly waiting by the door for them to say their goodbyes.

"Liam," Niall spoke up as he opened the door. "Can I talk to you a second?"

Liam held the door for Holden, handing him the car keys so he could get in. "Go on out and wait for me, I'll just be a second babe."

He waited until Holden was out of sight, stepping towards Liam some. "Um, I'm going to go out and meet a friend tonight. So I'll probably be gone before you're back but I'll be home sometime tonight."

"What friend?" Liam pressed.

"A friend I bumped into at Holden's school a few days ago," he casually shrugged.

"When will you be back?"

Niall shrugged again, "Dunno, 10 maybe?"

Liam grunted under his breath, "Right, I'll see you." He stepped forward and kissed his cheek, "Have a good time."

"Thanks, I'll try." He murmured softly and watched him walk out the door.

Niall waved goodbye as Liam backed out of the driveway, going back into the house and went upstairs to change clothes and hopefully somehow manage to conceal more of his bruising.

________

He was beyond early, nervous about meeting Harry in the state that he was but he'd picked a table with terrible lighting. Thinking it would help, casting shadows in odd places and distorting the lighting.