Chapter 4 - Lying

Would you? ---^
Please answer in the comments:)

~

"Calum! Hayley!" I heard from downstairs. It was Joy. She probably found the copy and the note.

"What?!" Calum yelled back.

"Could you come here please?" David was the one yelling this time.

"Okay, we'll be down!" I yelled. I smiled at Calum, grabbed his hand, and went down the stairs with him.

We saw Joy, David, and Mali all standing in the kitchen, looking at the copy. They looked up at us when we are towards them.

"What's this?" David asked.

"That's a copy of the scan I got today," I told them.

"Did you just find out?" Mali asked, looking at the ultrasound.

"Yeah. I went for blood work earlier today and I got a call from the hospital this afternoon. They had found male DNA in my blood, so I had to be pregnant with a boy. They're twins, so at least one of them is a boy," I explained.

"So are you excited?"

"Sort of. We're a little young, but I think we'll be okay."

"Friends of mine from college had a baby at nineteen. They were fine. I think you guys will be too, but since it's twins, you'll both have to be there and help a lot," David told us, and I tensed up. I wouldn't be there to help. I couldn't leave Calum to do this by himself.

"Calum, it's a good thing you'll be on break from the tour near the time they're born and until they're a few months old.." Mali added.

"So you guys are okay with this?" I asked.

"You guys are adults. You should be responsible enough to know whether or not you're ready for the next step in your life. I think you two will be ready," Joy nodded. What if the next step in my life is dying?

I couldn't help but think of what was going to happen after the babies are born, if they survive. I don't know what Calum would do! I can't do that to him, if they survive, there will be lots of pressure in him. If they don't make it, he'll be living in his own hell.

What should I do? There's nothing I can do to change this. Why do bad things happen to good people?

------

That night, I couldn't stop thinking about what happened today. First I found out I was pregnant, then I found out it was twins, then I told my parents and Calum's parents, and now I just can't stop worrying about what will happen in six months.

Calum will be so sad when I pass. He won't be able to live with himself. He will have to care for the twins by himself, if they even live. What will the boys do? The boys will cry their eyes out when they find out I'm dead. They're all three like brothers to me. But Joy, David, and Mali? They're my real family, unlike my parents. What will they do?

The door opening snapped me out of my thoughts. Calum entered my room, smiling at me. He sat on my bed beside me, and I laid my head on his shoulder.

"So what do you think?" Cal planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Think of what?"

"You being pregnant. We'll finally be able to have a family like we dreamed of. It's starting a little early, but we'll be fine. We can still live the life we wanted," he smiled.

"Yeah-" I stopped myself. I never knew how hard it would be to keep this from him. I can't tell him now, though, can I? I can't. He would be crushed. I love him to much to hurt him like that.

"You've seemed to be out of it lately," Calum pointed out. Shit.

"I don't know why it would seem that way. Maybe I've just been thinking about the babies," I lied.

"No, it's been even before you found out."

"Oh. I don't know then."

"You haven't been yourself lately, like you're hiding something. Are you hiding anything?"

"No, I'm not hiding anything," I hated lying to him.