Chapter Ten: Exposed Secrets

Mulai dari awal

Caspian decides to rejoin the conversation, much to my displeasure. "You need to give my brother a chance," he declares. I turn to show him my teeth.

"I don't need to do anything," I snap before turning back to Ryland, "Stop the truck."

"No."

"Stop. The. Truck."

"No," he replies, his voice completely neutral.

The entire argument I had begun planning in my head comes to a halt. It is not like I can really give a snappy comeback when all he says is 'no'. I expected some kind of answer as to why he did not want to stop the car. Dylan always gave me a reason. But I keep forgetting that Ryland is a cat. He does not need a reason to do something.

Time to try a different approach.

"Please let me-"

"No."

I frown. What am I supposed to do when all he does is say 'no'. It might be his way of silencing me, but there is nothing I can say to counter it. Considering the fact that the truck is slowing down as we near the turn off to my cabin, I know where we are going. That is at least comforting. However, I do not like that, by dropping me off, he will be there as well with his brother. If only I could think of some kind of counter.

Sadly, I cannot and we are soon stopping right next to my Jeep. If it were not for Caspian, I would be jumping out of the truck and slamming my cabin door before Ryland could stop me. However, I am instead stuck between two lions, neither of which seem like they are willing to leave the truck just yet.

"Are you going to let me out or not?" I demand impatiently after a minute passes with no movement from either brother.

"I have not decided yet," he replies, his voice more disgruntled than thoughtful. I stare at him, waiting for him to say more – a verdict would be nice – but he does not even glance at me. "Before I let you out, you have to promise to something."

I cross my arms and lean back as I turn my head to stare out the front window. "I don't make promises I won't keep," I reply. Any promise made with him would be like making a deal with the devil. However, when he begins to stare down at me, I know it is only a few minutes before I cave under his intense gaze, so I might as well do it on my own terms. "...Fine. What do you want?"

"Promise you will not run away. Now that you know, I want to properly court you," Ryland says, immediately making my mental hackles rise. But before I can tell him that I am not gay, he continues, "I want one full month. If that month passes by and you still don't feel a thing, then I will leave quietly."

Before I can agree, Caspian decides to chime in, "And you have to give my brother a chance. If I hear that you are ignoring Ryland, I will fly back and lock you in the same room as him."

"You're leaving?" I inquire, hope bubbling up in my chest. Two lions are far too much for me to handle, but if it is just Ryland, that might make this deal more bearable.

"I leave in four days," Caspian answers, all the while staring at me as if judging my reaction. I do not bother to hide the relief on my face as they will no doubt read it from my body language.

Ryland leans towards me, attracting my attention back to him as I try to scoot closer to his less intimidating brother. "Do you promise?" He asks when I do not immediately catch on to what he wants me to say.

"I promise," I agree, crossing my arms a little tighter to hug myself. However, I sit up straight when I realize this is the perfect chance to ask. "You broke your promise to not claw up my trees. I can kick you out of my territory for that."