Chapter 1. Espresso

Chapter 1.

Espresso

Bill had work pretty early, at 6 am, while his roommates were still sleeping. He taught history to middle schoolers in some small crappy school, so desperate for teachers that they hired someone who didn't even go to college.

Thank god his neighborhood was known as the coffee shop district. And by sheer luck, he lived just a block away from the newly opened coffee shop, which was right on the corner, and now his favourite.

One of the reasons this cafe was his favorite is it opened at 4 am, although sadly it closed early too. It's almost like it was only made for early workers, especially those who needed caffeine more than oxygen as to not snap at some 12 year olds at 8 in the morning. Although the cafe was pretty low budget, so they made coffee in kettles and didn't have name tags. But it was still good, even if they couldn't make anything flavoured, or even smoothies or frappes.

Bill walked in, the bell ringing to warn that a very sleep deprived customer made his way into the coffee shop. Usually it was some Asian girl working shifts on Wednesdays, but today it seemed to be a brunette boy, though Bill totally mistook him for a lesbian girl at first, especially with the apron.

The boy seemed to be stand up from a chair or maybe a stool, it was hard to tell when it was behind the counter.

"Triple espresso please." Why was the blonde's voice suddenly so shaky? It was never shaky, especially with low life baristas.

"Triple? Are you sure you won't have a heart attack sir?"

Sir? Bill was sure he didn't look that old. Maybe it was because he didn't shave? God dammit puberty, not everyone wants facial hair. "I'm not a sir yet. And I've been having triple espressos since I've been fourteen kid, if anything I'd have coffee poisoning before a heart attack." He slid forward a $5 bill.

The boy giggled, taking it and working the cash register, giving Bill a change of $2.51 in less than 5 seconds. "You'll have your fix in three minutes, not-that-old sir." Were employees even allowed to make small talk like that with customers? Or was the blonde (hot) teacher just grumpy that morning.

Bill just nodded, not feeling talkative much this morning. The boy wasn't lying, it took him a maximum of 2 minutes to make a triple espresso, which took some other cafes at least 5 minutes. No wonder this was his favorite now, plus they didn't charge extra than for a double espresso, so it was basically a buy 2 get 1 for free deal.

The only other customers were already sitting down, so there was no point for the baristas to call out whose coffee was whose. "Thanks." Bill murmured, already making his way to the exit when the smiling boy called out not-so-loudly: "If you die of a heart attack, don't sue me!" In a joking matter.

Bill forgot the sugar, but it tasted just as sweet that day.  

//second chapter tomorrow, ik these are short but i pretty much only ever write small drabbles so.... i hope ppl like this
this is so poorly written/edited im so rRy