Keep Calm and Love In The Now

Chapter Eleven:

Keep Calm and Love In The Now

"I actually fell for you before I even realized I did."

Maya Granger

I stared blankly at Byron and the other three boys with him. I know I should be feeling all sorts of nervousness and hysteria, but frankly I didn't. I didn't feel threatened in any way. And I think that's because Byron had all his attention on the phone in his hand, while the other three talked among themselves.

They didn't emit any sort of hostility like they did back at the mall.

I looked to the person at the wheel, and my eyes caught his in the rear view mirror. They were a piercing blue. He smiled―the type that lets you know that they're easy to talk to and are the most reasonable.

I was surprised there was someone like him in Byron's gang.

"Don't worry," he said, his voice soft and comforting. I immediately knew he was the mother of the group. "Nothing bad is gonna happen to you. Byron just wants Ryder. He's kinda' obsessed."

About to reply to his words, I opened my mouth, but was cut off when Byron spoke up.

"Who's obsessed, Daniel?" Byron asked, annoyed as he glared at the driver. "You know why I'm doing this."

"And your reason proves you're obsessed," the driver, Daniel, replied in a as-a-matter-of-fact tone. "Well...maybe not obsessed, but...clingy? Yeah, clingy."

I watched in amusement as Byron's face turned red, an embarassed look replacing his previous glare, as he sputtered. "Wha-What?!" His voice rose an octave higher. "C-Clingy?!"

I had to bite my inner cheek to stop myself from giggling. He's actually pretty cute, but something tells me he wouldn't appreciate me laughing at his embarassment.

One of the three boys with orange dyed hair, chuckled, before turning to me. "Daniel's right, we won't hurt you. Heck, no one would dare even think to hurt you. Just bear with it for now." He smiled. "Oh, I'm Lloyd by the way."

"Maya," I replied, already relaxing.

"Nice to meet ya', Maya! Though I would've preferred our first meeting to be under different circumstances. Sorry, about this."

Not knowing how to answer, I simply nodded with a small smile.

Lloyd looked to the other two with him, then pointed to the brunette with a lip piercing, and a slightly crooked nose. "He's Rodes, but we call him Roddy."

"Hey!" Rodes, aka Roddy exclaimed with a sharp glare to Lloyd, before turning to me and said, "Don't listen to him."

Lloyd ignored his friend, before moving on to introduce the last one which was also a brunette. Except he didn't have any piercings, only a scar that ran across his forehead and a stoic look.

"That's Oscar, he's a bit cold, and doesn't really talk much, so don't take it seriously if he ignores you."

Oscar gave me a nod, before turning his attention elsewhere.

"We'll let you go as soon as I get what I want from Ryder," Byron said, finally recovering from his embarrassment.

"Are you gonna hurt him?" The question was out of my mouth before I can even stop it.

Byron's brown eyes bore into mine as he answered, "That depends..."

Depends on what?

His answer didn't do anything to calm my worries for Ryder, but I didn't push any further.