Maya Runs

Chapter Ten:

Maya Runs

"You give me the kind of feeling people write novels about."

Maya Granger

That same morning after talking with mom, I went to school. However, I made sure to leave the house before Ryder would most likely come by and pick me up. He hasn't contacted me at all since he dropped me off, so I wasn't sure if he was even going to pick me up for school.

There was barely any students, aside from the football team that was already there for morning practice. I decided to watch them until Sakura arrives, and also because Ashton was the team captain.

I sat on one of the bleachers, farthest away from the field so as to avoid any footballs that may loose their way, and mindlessly watched the team play. It didn't take long for me to zone out, and retreat into my mind that was swarming with nonsense, aka, Ryder O'Connel.

Against my wishes, questions as to why he didn't contact me at all started bothering me.

I wonder what happened?

What if he got into an accident,

Did he not like the kiss?

Was it too sloppy for him?

It was my first.

...it was my first...

It was my first kiss...

My eyes widened at the sudden realization. I was too occupied with my feelings that I completely forgot that detail. I was suddenly on my feet, and shouting, "IT WAS MY FRICKIN' FIRST!!!"

Then, I froze, realising that I was actually out in the open, and had just shouted at the top of my lungs. The football team had stopped playing, and their heads were turned towards me. I thanked whatever luck I had that I was on the farthest bleacher, and with a nervous chuckle to myself, I dashed away from the scene.

With no destination in mind, I kept running, embarrassment fueling my legs to run faster. I just hoped that no one recognized me. Just then, I ran smack straight into someone. We both got the breath knocked out of us, before I fell to the ground on my rear in the middle of the school parking lot.

I shook my head to get rid of the dizziness the impact of the ground had on me, before looking up to the person I rammed into to say sorry, but the words never made it pass my lips. I stared up at Ryder, gapping like a fish out of water.

"Dang Maya, where the heck are you headed? Here," he held out his hand to me.

The same hand that caressed my cheek during that.

The reminder sent my heart into a frenzy, my mind into a tornado, turned my stomach into a zoo, and set my face on fire. Before I knew it, I was back on my feet and running away from Ryder, the cause of my feeling disorder.

"Maya!" He called out, but I didn't stop.

Call me a coward, but as of that moment, I wasn't really ready to see him yet. I wasn't ready to tell him.

"I said wait!"

Loosing my balance, I was yanked back by my arm, stopping me from running any farther. I felt a sense of déjà vu as I once again found myself on the ground. Only this time, I wasn't in the parking lot, and it wasn't Ryder standing over me.

Instead, I was in the middle of the school hallway, with Sakura bent over, her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath.

"The heck you running so fast for?" She asked in between pants. "And why didn't you stop?"