Love at First Sight?

Chapter One:

Love at First Sight?

"Love is the closest thing we have to magic."

Maya Granger

For some very strange reason, West Brighton High School was bustling with more excitement than ever. An athletic body slammed into mine, and I felt my whole world tilt. Just as my behind was about to be introduced to the hallway floor, my arm was caught in a strong grip that kept me from an embarrassing ordeal.

I looked up to my savior, only to scowl. "What are you doing, Ash?"

"Wow, you would think I'd get a thank you for saving your butt. Literally," the handsome brunet holding my arm replied with an amused grin.

I continued to glare at him until I couldn't take it anymore and allowed the grin to take over my face as well. "Thank you for saving my butt, Ashton. Literally," I answered, and his grin widened before he hooked his arm with mine. "But I totally had the situation under control."

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right..."

We walked down the hall, arm in arm, gaining some odd stares. Not that us walking together is anything new, however, the people of West Brighton High are still trying to figure out what Golden Boy Ashton West was doing walking with Simple-Nerd Maya.

Ashton West was one of the few friends that I have made ever since moving to Lynchburg, Virginia with my family, which was almost a year ago. I couldn't believe it at first when he approached me. He was the school's golden boy, with looks that girls worship, and a great personality to boot. And of course, the body. So, you can imagine my confusion and shock when he asked me if I wanted to be friends with him-me, plain ol', nerdy Maya. Of course, I was a bit skeptical at first, but as I got to know Ashton West, I discovered we balanced each other out pretty good and our relationship evolved from friends to best friends.

"So, what's up with you?" Ashton asked, looking down at me after high-fiving with one of his friends. "How was your weekend?"

"Ugh, it was horrible!" I sighed with a dramatic drop of my shoulders. "There was this guy who interrupted my Sherlock night by crashing at my place!"

"Really? Should I call out this guy, and you know, tell him to stop bothering you?" I suppressed a smile, as his eyes twinkled with mirth.

"Nah, I can handle him..." I shrugged.

"I don't think anyone can handle, this." At that, Ashton gestured to his body and I rolled my eyes at the obvious confidence he had of his body.

Just then, a pair of giggling girls walked by us and I followed them with my eyes, confused at their giddy behavior. I looked around and saw almost all the girls were in some sort of good mood, and that the usually inappropriately dressed ones, were dressed even more inappropriately and with more makeup on than usual as well.

"What is going on around here?" I questioned, passing by a group of excited jocks talking about something I couldn't really make out.

"You didn't hear?"

"Hear what?" I looked up to Ashton's 6'2, silently demanding an answer.

"Ryder O'Connel is coming back." He answered, one side of his mouth tilting up.

"Ryder O'Connel?" I clarified, my eyes widening in surprise. When Ashton nodded, I continued, "You mean, your best friend that got expelled right before I moved here? The one who got caught smoking on school grounds, made a teacher rage quit, and knocked the principal's..." I trailed off, then looked around, before lowering my voice to a whisper, "...the one who knocked the principal's wig off on purpose? That Ryder O'Connel?"