Part 10

I arrive at school and slowly walk in the building, everyone's eyes laid on me, as I look for Scott.

"Hey." He says, coming up behind me, throwing an arm around my shoulder.

I look at him and smile. He looks glum suddenly.

"What is it?" I ask him. "Is it my hair? Does it look bad?" I joke, and watch him crack a smile that doesn't meet his eyes.

"No, it's just, I can feel your bones through your jacket." He says, his fingers tracing my bony shoulder gently.

"That's what cancer does, my friend." I tell him, shrugging. He sighs.

We stand by the lockers and spot Lydia running over to us. She flings her arms around me and and I weakly pull her into a hug.

"What're you doing here?!" She asks into my ear. I pull away.

"I was feeling... Okay. I thought I'd give this week a go, besides, I've still two weeks before my next chemo block." I tell her. She raises an eyebrow.

"Right. You wouldn't know what I'm talking about. My bad, doesn't matter." I say, embarrassed.

"No, Stiles, I think you're forgetting I'm the smart one- of course I know what you're talking about. I raised an eyebrow because I'm confused on how good you sound- and look- today." She tells me, her eyes shining, a wide smile spread across her face.

"I look good, huh?" I smirk, winking at her. She playfully hits me on the arm.

"You know what I mean. I mean, you're up! Walking!" She says excitedly. I laugh and put my arm over her shoulder, half hugging her.

Scott's talking to Kira, who soon awkwardly greets me, looking a little nervous.

"Stiles, how're you doing?" She asks, not able to keep her eyes off my beanie, probably wandering what my bald head looks like.

"I'm... Well, as good as it gets for me." I say, making the awkwardness even more awkward- we aren't really that close. She chuckles dryly, before turning around and facing Scott, who laughs at me.

🍃🍃

Half way through math- and not having any idea what I'm doing- I realise how much school I've actually missed.

I put my hand in the air.

"Yes, Stiles?" Asks the teacher.

"Er... Could you explain that again?" I ask. A few people, including Scott and Kira, turn around to look at me.

"Of course, which part?" She asks, gesturing to the questions in the book.

I hesitate for a moment. "Uh... All of it? Please." I ask, making the teacher sigh, but she bends down to my desk anyway and starts to explain.

Scott looks at me guiltily.

After the teacher finishes explaining, she says, "Got it?"

"Yep, thanks." I lie, giving her a thumbs up.

"Stiles, you know, if you wanna take the books home and do a little studying when you're off, that's absoloutely fine." She says. Pushing the book towards me.

"Uh, yeah. Sure. Thanks, miss." I say, tapping the book. She beams, then walks off.

🍃🍃

"Hey, is Isaac not in today?" I ask Scott as we walk to gym class.

"Uh... I don't know, actually. I'm not sure if he's, you know, staying." Says Scott.

"Oh." I mumble.

We walk into the boys locker room and Coach approaches me straight away.

"Stilinski," he says, his voice rough yet kind, and not as loud as normal, "it's good to see you." He smiles, placing a large hand on my thin arm.

I laugh. "Thanks, Coach. And you." I say, smiling. I hand him a Doctor's note, excusing me from gym class for the 'foreseeable future'.

He reads it then shoves it in his pocket.

"Feel free to watch. Er, you can sit on the bench." He tells me, his voice quite nervous around me.

"That what I always do." I say, laughing. He pauses for a minute, not sure if I'm joking, but then starts laughing with me, until he goes to bark some orders at the rest of the class.

"Dude, I'm benched for the season." I tell Scott, faking disappointment. He starts laughing- and it's so good to see him smiling.

"Hey, you wanna go out somewhere tonight? If you're feeling up to it?" Scott suggests. I consider for a moment.

"What harm could it do?" I shrug, and nod in agreement.

"Cool. I think someone from the lacrosse team is throwing a party?" He says unsurely.

"Sounds good, what time?" I ask.

"I'll pick you up at eight?" He suggests. I nod.