Part 20

As the day progresses, my dad texts me three times, constantly checking if I'm okay. Which I am. Kinda.

"Coach, can I please open a window? It's so hot in here!" Moans a pupil sat behind me.

"Then why are you wearing a sweater?!" Asks coach, but nods towards the window anyway.

I shiver uncomfortably, which Scott notices next to me.

"Dude, you okay?" He asks, fanning his face in the 'heat'.

"Yeah, I'm just a little cold, it's nothing." I tell him, pulling my sleeves down over my hands.

"Oh, here." Scott says, taking off his sweater and putting it around my shoulders. I put my arms in the warm sleeves which subside my cold chills.

"Thanks." I mumble, looking around the room; several people are watching us, including Coach.

"Stilinski, we can shut the windows, you know. Just say the word." His normally yelling voice is softer, still rough, but kinder.

"It's okay, coach." I murmer, glancing at the open window.

The pupil who asked to open the window quickly stands up and shuts it again anyway. I can sense everyone's immediate guilt.

"Um, thanks..." I mumble, my eyebrows pointed down. The guy looks back awkwardly, and it strikes me I don't even know someone in my class's name. I gulp. Chemo brain? Bad memory, maybe? Or have I just been so busy with myself lately I haven't been bothered about anyone else?

Everyone takes off their sweaters and fans their faces desperately with paper, yearning for cold air. I sigh. I stand up slowly and walk toward the window. Everyone watches me as I pause for a moment, looking out before I lean over and open it again. I get lots of sympathetic smiles as I sit down again.

***

Derek picks me up from school and gets out of his car to gently help me in with my cannula, books, and backpack.

I sink into the passenger seat, moaning in gratitude.

"Bad day?" He asks, watching my eyes shut.

"Tiring day." I correct him, smirking.

"Stiles, you don't have to come into school if you-"

"I know I know, but I do. It's fine." I say, interrupting him, opening my eyes again to realise we've missed the turning back to my house.

"Derek, you just missed the turning." I say, my voice slightly inquisitive.

"I know." Derek replies back, shrugging. I scoff.

"Where are we going?" I demand, looking out the windows and eyeballing the sidewalk and buildings as we zoom past.

"Relax, we're only going back to mine." He says calmly, which immediately does chill me out.

We sit in silence until we arrive.

When Derek slides open the door to his large loft, I immediately am mesmerised by the hundreds of lights and blankets and cushions all over the room; the sparkling bulbs illuminate the place into something beautiful.

"What's all this?" I ask, looking at a pile of quilts.

Derek smirks, pleased with my reaction.

"This," he gestures towards the room, smiling, "is date night." He laughs. I chuckle.

"Cute." I joke.

"You wanna order a pizza?" He asks, pulling his phone out of his pocket. My face drops.

"The chemo does something to my tastebuds... Pizzas not the same. I don't like it as much." I say. Derek looks upset for me, almost.

"Oh. That's okay, we can get whatever you want." He says, putting a hand on my shoulder. I smile gratefully at him.

"Thank you." I say, looking around the room, "all of this, it's..." I search my brain for a word, "it's amazing." I settle with, my voice slowly turning into just breaths as I've been standing up for a while.

I clutch Derek's arm, who notices my lack of oxygen, and he leads me over to the couch, where I collapse into the cushions and get my breath back.

"So what are we gonna do?" I ask, peering at the computer in front of us.

"Watch a movie?" Derek suggests. I nod, my eyebrows raised in excitement.

"What do you wanna watch?" Derek asks, almost flirtatiously. I think for a minute.

"Fifty shades..." I suggest, my voice deep and (what I hope came across as) seductive. Derek raises an eyebrow, a smirk glued on his face.

"I'm kidding. Something funny. I wanna laugh." I say, nudging up for Derek to sit down next to me.

He climbs under the banket with me after putting on Ferris Beuler's Day Off- one of my favourites. I tuck my head under his arm with his arm around my shoulders and lean into his warm body. I must've fallen asleep because I don't remember watching the end of the film.