Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

After rattling off his order, he slid the five-dollar bill across the counter and received a few cents in change. He then retreated to a secluded corner of the restaurant where he could eat. An empty booth suited his fancy, so he sat down and propped up his feet on the seat across from him.

A few minutes later, as he was scrolling through some pictures on his phone, someone approached and cleared her throat. He glanced up and immediately sat straighter. "Nikki!"

"Here's your order, sir," she said with a playful smile.

As she slid a tray onto the table in front of him, he withdrew his feet from the opposite booth and tucked them underneath his seat. "Hey, I didn't know you were working tonight."

"My shift is over, actually," she said. "I just happened to see you sitting over here, so after clocking out I decided to deliver your order."

Koa realized her usual apron and work attire were gone. He chuckled. "Good thing you saw me."

"Yeah, good thing." She stood awkwardly for a few seconds before blurting out, "Are you expecting anyone?"

Koa immediately glanced over at the empty seat across from him and shook his head. "No! No, I'm not. Do you—I mean, are you tired, or do you want to join me?"

She smiled and approached the booth obligingly. "Thanks, I'd love to. But first—"

Koa watched as she scurried over to the back of the restaurant. Moments later, she returned with a small milkshake in hand. When she plopped back down at his booth, she closed her lips over the straw and began drinking. "Mmm," she said after a short silence. "Have you ever tried Scottie's milkshakes? They're to die for."

"Can't say I have," he said. When she held out the drink for him to taste, he quickly shook his head. "Thanks, but no thanks. I need to save some room for my own meal."

As Koa began to eat, Nikki briefly abandoned her milkshake to get the conversation rolling. They were soon trading off questions and answers, allowing them to get to know each other a little more. When there was a lull in the conversation ten minutes later, Koa glanced down and realized he had left a quarter of his burger uneaten. He wasn't really that hungry anymore. His Coke, on the other hand, was empty with only a few half-melted ice cubes rattling around.

"So," Nikki said, slurping on the last bits of her milkshake, "why are you here, anyway? Not to be rude or anything. I just never see you by yourself."

"What about the time we saw each other at C Street?" Koa offered. "I was by myself then."

"True. What I meant to say was, you're usually surrounded by your friends—Maya and Jake and the rest of them."

"Yeah, we're a close-knit group."

"So..." She cocked her head. "Did you decide you had enough of them? Or what?"

"No, nothing like that." He smiled in spite of himself. "I just wanted a burger and a place to eat. Pretty spectacular."

"I hope I'm not intruding."

He shook his head. "Believe me, you're not. You're the best company I've had all day."

Her strawberry lips turned up into a graceful smile. She propped up her elbows on the table and leaned forward. "You're the best company I've had all day, too."

Koa couldn't help but laugh. "Sure, Nikki."

"Hey, after a few stressful classes and a long work day, this is exactly the kind of relaxation and conversation I need."