House Arrest

Kai's P.O.V.

"Hmmm, interesting..."

"What's interesting?"

"Whatever did this cut Jay deep enough to silence him but not enough to kill him. It's a very fine line, this was very calculated on their part." Zane says, examining an unconscious Jay.

"Cole. Cole did this." Nya says. She looks terrible. Her eyes are red and puffy from crying lined with dark circles from lack of sleep. Her normally silky dark hair is a matted mess. Her face is so pale it almost looks as if she is a ghost, and the bandages covering her arms only go to give everyone more reminder of the evil presence in our home.

Argh, I wish I could just punch Cole or set him on fire or something. Not wait around like a chump and wait for him to attack someone else. "Your hair is smoking again, Kai." Skylor tells me. "That's the third time this morning." I wave her off. "Yes, Cole did this." I agree with my sister. "And I think we need to take action."

"Jay will need stitches." Zane says absentmindedly, still bending over our sedated friend.

"I say we beat Cole up until he tells us why he's acting like a total-"

"Kai?" I hear Lloyd's voice from the doorway. Uh oh. "What's going on?"

"Lloyd! Nothing's going-"

"No, Kai. You can't leave me out of this. I know Cole is acting not like Cole and he attacked Nya and Jay and left them a creepy note. I just went into his room!"

"Lloyd, you shouldn't-"

" I'm the green ninja! I can take care of myself! Everybody thinks because I used to be eleven I can't handle serious stuff. You're forgetting my dad was evil for most of my life! I went to a school for evil kids! I fought the overlord! I got possessed by a ghost desperate for my power! I can handle this! You keep thinking that because you're my protector I need to be protected. But I'm seventeen, and I've seen plenty of bad things. I may still like bedtime stories and candy and games, but I'm not a baby."

"That's great Lloyd, but you just went into COLE'S ROOM?!"

"Yes!" Says Lloyd, cheeks flushed from his impassioned outburst.

"And he didn't try to attack you?"

"Didn't even move."

"Cole hasn't attacked anyone but Nya and Jay." Skylor realizes. "Maybe they're the only two he's after!" I nod in assent. Then turn to Lloyd.

"Don't try anything like that before asking us again!" I tell him. I can tell my hair is smoking again. "But- thanks for being brave and helping."

"That's all I ever wanted to hear." Lloyd smirks. "Now I'm gonna call my uncle and tell him what we realized. Maybe he can come back and help us get Cole back to normal!"

Nya's P.O.V.

They finally realized this is all my fault.

"Nya, we think it would be best for you and Jay to both stay in the infirmary so we can make sure Cole can't get to you. Just until we cure him. Sensei says." Skylor tells me. I'm sitting next to Jay's bed. Zane gave Jay five small stitches at his throat. He's not supposed to talk so we've just been sitting here in silence for the past hour. It's been a lovely time for me to stew over the words Cole whispered before he attacked me.

"You still can't?"

And then the wink and blown kiss. The note. All the clues that this  is all for me. The realization that my actions have resulted in one of my best friends being horribly attacked. The implication that this is not the last thing Cole will do.

"So you're just going to lock us up until it's convenient to let us out?" I say, feeling anger bubbling up. I got everyone into this sick mess. It should be my job to get us out. I want to kick Cole in the face and see how he reacts to that. I'm not the weakling everyone assumes. "Well, we're not locking you up. We don't think you're a danger to us, this is more of a protective measure for you." Skylor tries to explain.

"And what will my brother think of me being trapped in a small room alone with Jay?" I challenge her. She looks wary for a moment and then tells me, "He's okay with it." "Really?" "If it keeps you safe."

"Fine." I concede. "Really?" Skylor sounds surprised. "You're not going to fight me more?" "Frankly, I'm too tired. And if this means I won't have to stress out for a night, I'll go with it." "Thank you." Skylor says, relieved. "Lloyd will bring you food later."

 The rest of the day passes slowly. I have a one-sided conversation with Jay, which is nothing unusual, but it's problematic because he's usually the one talking. I read a book but finish it, draw but get bored, pace but then Jay motions to me that it makes him nervous. Lloyd brings dinner, some sort of soup, which neither of us really eats. By night time I realize I haven't even put my mind to the fact that there's only bed in the infirmary. Oh Dear.

Kai will not approve.

Awkwardly, I climb onto the very right side of the bed, while Jay takes the far left. We make sure to leave several feet of space. However, Jay holds out his hand. I take it. Soon, I drift off into a fitful sleep.

Ok, so I said there would be blood in this chapter, and apparently I lied. I didn't mean to lie. I had this huge scary chapter planned. But the emotions part just got too long. I promise tomorrow I will publish a chapter with lots of horror. What do you think of my story so far? What do you want to see in this or future stories? please like, follow me, and comment your thoughts. Thank you! The author