Chapter Eight

Camila didn't look at the wallet again until a week later. She opened it and began counting the money. Still $300. It took her that week to decide what she was going to do with all of it. Lauren still didn't know Camila had found so much money. She younger girl wasn't acting any differently, but today she decided to spend some of that cash.

Once the girls were in town, they went right to the coffee shop. Camila excitedly patted the slight bulge in her jeans pocket as they walked. Lauren, as usual, kept her head down. However, instead of taking it to go, Camila persuaded Lauren to sit inside the coffee shop. The older demon picked the table farthest from the counter.

Before sitting down, Camila informed the other girl that she'd be back. Camila walked back to the counter. "Hi again! Could I get a cinnamon roll, please?" She ordered as quietly as possible. Lauren watched through the strands of hair the fell over her eyes. Camila gladly handed over the money she owed and took the plate and silverware back to the table.

Lauren lifted her head up once Camila sat across from her. "How'd you get that?" She asked. Did Camila get free food? Hell, if she knew they gave out free food, she would have talked to them years ago.

Camila just handed Lauren a fork and smiled.

The girls finished their breakfast, left the plate on top of the trashcan beside the door and exited.

"So what do you want to do today?" Camila asked as she followed beside Lauren.

"I was thinking we could stay in town. Look around the stores and stuff. Is that alright?" She asked, facing the girl momentarily. Camila smiled and nodded. "I've only ever been to the coffee shop and the store and you like exploring, right?"

"Right. Where to first?"

Lauren looked at all of the stores around her. They stood in front of some figurine shop. "How about we go into every store on this block... Tomorrow we can look around on the next block over, then the next block, then the next, until we cover the entire town."

"Sounds like fun!" Camila linked their arms together and walked inside the first store.

A bell rang as they walked through the doors. "Good morning, girls." An old woman sitting behind the counter said. Camila replied with a good morning and looked around the store, taking Lauren with her.

The shelves were filled with various glass figures. Animals, people, flowers... An old man sat in the corner making glass horse. The girls watched from afar, fascinated by the pure talent. Lauren broke away to go over to the bowls. They were all painted beautifully and stacked in small piles.

"You have such amazing work." Camila told the man.

He smiled and continued shaping the animal.

They looked at the various glass figures around the store for another ten minutes before politely saying goodbye and exiting.

"That was a cute little shop." Camila linked their arms once again. The building next door was a bakery. As soon as Lauren opened the door, the delicious smell of freshly baked foods filled their nostrils. A glass case with everything from cookies, brownies, cupcakes, flavored breads, and muffins were inside. On the back wall, refrigerators with expertly iced cakes were on display. Everything looking absolutely amazing.

A woman walked out of the back room, the kitchen most likely, upon hearing the door close. She smiled at the young girls who were bending down in front of the display boxes. "Hello there, can I help you ladies with anything?" She wiped flour on her apron.

"Just looking for now." Camila answered for both of them. "Were you going to get something?" She asked Lauren. The older girl nodded and pointed to a sugar cookie.