Probably because you have feelings for her.

Wait what?

Lauren froze at her thoughts. She didn't. She couldn't. Sure, Camila was cute and sweet and had a beautiful mind and they were both demons and living together but she couldn't like her. That would make things even more awkward. The older girl peered over her shoulder for a moment. Camila was rinsing her hair. The wet locks sticking to her chest and side as she bent over. Lauren turned back around, splashing her face with water. She can't think of her like that.

The girls made it to town and went straight to the old coffee shop Lauren visited once upon a time. As usual, Lauren kept her head down while in the presence of humans. Camila, however, stood up proud and curious, studying the buildings and people, cars and roads. A lot has changed since she's lived here.

The coffee shop was dark and musty but Camila walked right up to the counter and said hello. The workers recognized Lauren instantly. They exchanged looks. That unusual girl must have made a friend their raised eyebrows said.

Camila looked at the list of beverages above them. She didn't know what they meant. Sure, when she lived in town she knew what coffee was but everything now seemed so advanced. "Uh what do you usually get, Lo?" She asks without taking her eyes off the board. Lauren just pointed. She didn't like talking in front of humans. She didn't like humans, period. "What is it?" Camila asks.

"She just gets black coffee." The short barista says. "Two of your usual coming right up." She turns around, grabbing their cups.

Camila notices the way Lauren doesn't make eye contact with the workers. She nudges her. "What's up?"

"They don't like me." Lauren whispers.

"Here's your drinks." The other barista smiles. Lauren slides over twice as much money as she usually would and takes her coffee, briskly walking over to the door to open it for Camila.

Once the girls are outside Camila speaks up again. "What do you mean they don't like you? They seemed nice."

"They don't think I can hear them when they say I'm unusual. It's not very nice, even if it is true." Lauren mumbles the last part, looking down the street before crossing.

"Why would you keep coming back if they call you names?" Camila kept up Lauren's quick pace.

"The coffee is good." She shrugs. Camila laughed. She had such a cute laugh. Lauren shook her head.

Once at the store, Lauren picked up a basket and made her way to travel section. There she got more shampoo, conditioner and soap. Camila was looking at the other side of the aisle as Lauren placed the items in the basket. She was halfway down the aisle before realizing Camila was no longer next to her. "Something you want?" Lauren asked, making her way back to the younger demon.

"No...There are eyelashes in there. You can buy whole eyelashes? Like if they fall off or something?" Camila asked seriously, putting her hand up to the glass that prevented people from stealing the small containers.

"No, silly. They're for making your eyelashes look full. My mom used to wear some. You've never seen fake eyelashes before?" Camila shook her head. "How old were you when you... moved out?" They continued their shopping.

"Same as you, ten."

"Hmm. Need any more snacks?" The green eyed girl asks once they're in the food aisles.

"There used to be this cereal I ate as a kid. Do you think we can get some of that?" Camila asked, looking for the box on the shelves.

"Of course." Lauren waited from behind her. "What about milk? It'll spoil."

"We don't need milk. We can eat it dry. Ah!" Camila smiles once she found what she was looking for.

Instead of going to straight to the cashier after getting the rest of their items, the girls made their way to the back of the store where the electronics were kept. There were movies they've never heard of, game consoles they've never seen, phones that were way different than the ones they were familiar with, and CD's from artists they didn't know existed. Camila made her way over to an iPhone that was on display. She lifted it up from the table and spun it in her hands. "There aren't any buttons."

Lauren picked up the slightly larger phone next to it. "Here's one." She pressed the lone button on the front of the screen. It lit up. 11:29. Wednesday, April 15. "Slide to unlock." She read the flashing letters at the bottom of the phone. She dragged her finger along until the page changed. Small boxes in rows were now shown. "This is so weird." The girls played around with the devices until their backs ached from staying hunched over the table.

"At least we know the date now." Camila said as they walked to the front of the store once again. "I lost count after a while."

Lauren hummed in response. They paid and exited, making their way back to the edge of the city. Before they went back to the shack, the girls walked up and down the street, looking for a piece of furniture that they could use as another bed for Camila. After half an hour of walking down the long, empty road, Lauren spotted something behind a bush. She crouched down next to the plant to find an old futon. "Camila look!" The younger girl caught up to Lauren and pushed the bush out of the way. "It's perfect!" Lauren grinned and began to pull it out of the frame. "Why would someone just throw this out?" She set the futon down, dust flying up once it hit the dirt. "We'll still have to share it but at least it's bigger."

"Will it fit?" Camila asked, walking around the piece of metal once it was in the bed position. "And what about the mattress?"

"Yeah it'll fit. We'll just use the couch cushions as the mattress." Lauren folded it back up, setting the bags on top and standing in front of the right arm rest. "Can you get the back?"

The girls carried the futon frame halfway to the shack before getting tired and setting it down. As they dragged it, a long indentation in the dirt followed. Sometimes the frame could get stuck on a tree root causing the girls to fly forward, but it would all be worth the trouble once they got it back home.

Once the shack was in view, the two demons put on triumphant smiles. Just a few more steps. The girls slowed to a stop just outside the door. Lauren quickly grabbed the grocery bags, set them on the counter and pushed the old couch to the back of the room. The coffee table followed. Her and Camila carefully carried the futon through the door, barley squeezing it through, and dropped it on the ground. Lauren put the cushions on the futon as Camila unloaded the groceries, and sat down together once they finished, sighing happily.

Later that night, after hunting and eating, Camila decided she wanted to take a walk. The nighttime breeze kept her hair flowing to the side, and the crickets and bugs chirped in her ears. Lauren stayed back in the shack, reading her book. As the young demon walked, her eyes dark and dull, she watched the ground. Any and every little thing she found was a treasure. Her pile of paperclips and string might come in handy one day, you never know. A bulging black... something caught her eye. She bent down to pick up, opening the item. A wallet. Inside was a picture of a boy, a senior in high school according to the school I.D. There were some gift cards to stores Camila never head of and pictures of his friends, she guessed. Inside the bill fold was $300, in 20's and 10's. This boy must have been rich. Or a drug dealer.

Camila folded the wallet back up and put it in her back pocket. She smiled to herself and walked back to the shack, waving to Lauren once back inside. Camila put the wallet in her left boot and helped Lauren pull out the futon. The two laid down on the new bed, back to back, blanket tucked around them. It was a chilly night. The brunette tossed and turned for an hour, too cold to be comfortable. Lauren was already asleep, how, Camila didn't know. Instead of getting up to get the second blanket, Camila wrapped her arms around Lauren's warm body. She wouldn't mind, right? Before the demon was able to drift off, she thought about all of that money she found and decided not to tell Lauren about it. She fell asleep with a mischievous smirk on her lips.