Part XI - Regret

here's another chapter! I hope you enjoy reading! :')

...................................................................

"Takao?" Midorima uttered out once he saw his friend. "What are you-." He went to a pause once he notices you taking all your things from the coffee table. "(Firs-."

"I have to go, I'm sorry..." you stood up eventually without even looking at them. You went out of the place in a rush, avoiding any contact to Takao as much as possible. Or else... something might lead to a misunderstanding.

You didn't expect him to be there. You are trying to keep some distance away from him ever since and you wanted it to be that way. You want a quiet life that you already had after that night. You already have it but now, he's here again, turning your life again.

You keep on walking and didn't even dare to look back. You really don't want to see him again. If only you could only disappear in an instance, you would but you can't. You pulled off a deep breath and walks on, shaking the thoughts out of your head.

On the other hand, Takao was left hanging as his eyes were fixed on the place where she left. And as he thought about her sudden leaving, sends him back to the pain he felt before. The pain he got after her sudden disappearance.

He search all over for her but he couldn't find her. All through the years, he could only blame himself. That's what he gets after what he did to her. He should have told her the truth but because of his selfishness, he did not. Wanting her to be by his side, he didn't told her his situation. Now, he's thinking, what if he did told her the truth, will she stay? Is she willing to wait until everything is okay? Or will she turn him down and just leave him like she did?

Those were all the question he has on his mind during those years. Now, after the time he got to see her again, one question came to his mind that might have a great effect on him.

And he is still hoping that the answer is no different from before.

Does she love me still?

He hope that she still does...just like before, he still does.

He still loves her

Takao's look softened up on his thought and Midorima can see it.

He clears his throat to get his attention. Upon hearing it, Takao glances on him.

"You can have a seat if you want to Takao. If not, you are free to leave."

Takao's eyes widen up, then he shake his head lightly as he form a smile on his face. "I'm sorry... I'm just thinking about something..."

Midorima sighed and glance on his side. Silence creeps between them for a moment. After (First name)'s leaving, no one says anything.

But then, as Midorima turn to look at him, he is suddenly taken aback by his expression.

The last time he knew, his look was like this one right after they lost their match against Rakuzan. But now, he is seeing him again that way.

Out of his curiosity, Midorima began to speak... "So, what are you doing here, Takao?"

His look turns a little softer as his gaze turn low.

"I guess I have to tell you this one, Shin-chan... it's been bothering me for years and I don't have anyone to talk to." Then, a single streak of tears came out of his eye. Midorima was startled but didn't say anything and just wait for him to continue. Yet, he already have an idea about Takao's situation... (First name) - He thought.

"I shouldn't have done it. And I should have told her the truth. If I haven't been selfish, I might still have her... have her heart... but now... I don't...." then, he looks up to his friend, tears are now continuously flowing out from his eyes.

"Why didn't I do it? Just... why? It's all my fault, Shin-chan... It's all my fault... I..." he bite his lower lip, trying to keep his voice.

Then, all of a sudden, Midorima feels a slight twitch of pain on his chest the moment he heard his next words.

"I love her, Shin-chan... I love (First name) so damn much... but... it's already late..." his voice croaked, as he lowers his head.

Seeing his look now, a sudden memory came to Midorima...

And just like Takao, he too, starts to think.

Just what if... what if he didn't do it, can Ayako still be with him? or he is just fooling himself?

Despite the thought, another words intervene and suddenly came out of his mind.

"You don't love me like before, Shin-chan..."

His eyes widen up... he instantly shake his head, pushing it out of his mind. Enough of it.

Midorima pulled off a sigh and look at his friend. "Takao..." he calls out.

The raven turn to look at him, still with tears on his face.

"You cannot undone what was already done, Takao... you have-."

"I'm not like you, Shin-chan..." Takao cuts him off, sending him off-guard. "You turn down your love for her but no, I wouldn't do it. I will fight for her..."

"Ayako didn't love me Takao. She loves someone else. It's not right to push yourself to someone when you already knew the person doesn't love you back. It's only worthless if you keep fighting for nothing." Midorima said sternly, sending Takao in utter silence. "Your case is different from mine, Takao. I turn it down because that's the right thing to do. She bears the child of her love and Akashi already learns his mistake and grab the chance to take her. But you... you already have the chance to do the same for (First name) but you did not."

A deafening silence suddenly pass between them... Takao look on his side, avoiding his friend's look.

He's right... but then, he jerk his head back and look back at him.

"Yet, we are slightly the same for one thing... and that is Regret." Midorima said in a soft yet sad voice. "If from the start I already told Ayako that I love her, maybe, things might turn out different... but then... as I longer thought about it, I fully understand that, no matter the situation before, even if she will love me or not, I should have told her. That's what I regret the most. But now, seeing Ayako happy from him, I guess, I'm okay how it all turns out even if it's painful on my part."

"Shin-chan..." Takao mumbles out.

"That's just how it goes... we cannot avoid something without experiencing regret. On the end of the day, there will be some things we will regret." He finally said and stood up... "I have to go." but when he got off on his seat, Ayako's words came out again on his head.

"You don't love me like before, Shin-chan..."

"I hope it wouldn't take long for you to admit what you truly feel."

Then, along with it, a certain face of the girl came to his consciousness.

"(First name)." he mumbles, unknowingly.

Takao went still upon hearing it from Midorima's mouth.

Upon hearing it also, Midorima snap out of it and stare at Takao who had the same expression as his.

"Shintaro..." Takao said as his look turns serious.

Midorima also went still upon hearing what Takao just called him... this is the first time Takao called him on his given name. He knew that the atmosphere began to tense up because of what just happen.

.............................

(>////<)

Nel~