Five

I walked quietly with Ashton for a while, readjusting my backpack straps every now and again. Our feet slapping the pavement was the only sound between us. Eventually, about half way home, I spoke up.

"Hey, Ashton?" I asked. He looked down

"Yes?" He replied in his usual whisper-y tone. I sighed.

"Why don't you ever speak up?" He frowned.

"Well, I have a certain sense of... Persuasion when I speak up." It was my turn to frown

"What do you mean by that?" He froze. I stopped about two steps ahead of him and looked back at him. He gripped my shoulders and spun me to face him, holding my chin tightly between his thumb and index finger to force my eyes to stare into his as he spoke.

"You'll forget what I've just said completely" he said in a normal tone. My mind drew a blank, and without my permission my lips began to move.

"I will forget what you've just said completely." I said.

"You're more sick than you thought"

"I'm more sick than thought." He let go of my chin and my head began whirling. I stumbled a bit and Ashton caught me.

"Woah, dear are you alright?" He whispered. I shook my head.

"No. I-i don't know what's wrong with me. I must be more sick than I thought. What just happened?" I questioned. Ashton touched my forehead with his wrist.

"Mm you're warm. You just stopped walking and started swaying back and fourth. I was afraid you'd faint!" He said. I closed my eyes tightly and reopened them.

"I don't feel so well..." I sighed. Ashton frowned.

"It's alright dear I'll help you." He assured. He turned away from me and crouched a bit. "Get on. I'll carry you home." I smiled weakly and hopped on his back.

"Thanks, Ashton." I said gratefully. I was lucky to have met him. He carried me the rest of the way home and stopped at my drive way.

"There we are" he said with a smile. He set me down and I looked up at him.

"Hey, Ashton?"

"Yes, Darcie?"

"Why don't you ever speak up?"

"I just like it better this way."

Pls comment omg. Also I just finished Curiousity you should read it!