T W E N T Y - O N E: The Choice

Start from the beginning

"No," she waves her hands. "No, you can't be there when I tell him."

"Why not?"

She shakes her head, "because the baby's yours, the baby's - "

The noise around Wyatt muffle out in slow motion, drowning out to his own thumping heartbeat. His head grows light and he struggles to focus as the world spins fast. The nippy wind seem to cut deeper than ever as Josslyn's words sink in - 'the baby's yours'.

Wyatt claws backward. "No." He struggles to breathe. "That's not possible. I didn't even..." He pours his hands outward to signify the word 'ejaculate'. "I mean, I always knew it was possible but chances are extremely, extremely low. W-we had sex but we...barely had sex to procreate."

"Well," Josslyn's shoulders slump forward. "You cleared up that pregnancy myth, didn't you? Edwin and I have been trying for seven years to have a child - seven long, long years - then you come along, and lo and behold, I'm pregnant - one mistake was all it took."

Wyatt gulps, "Josslyn, t-this could just as well still be Edwin's child."

"He's invisible, Wyatt. Edwin and I haven't been remotely intimate for two months."

Wyatt grasps for anything. "That test, it could just be defected."

"I just tested at my OB this morning. It's positive...Edwin needs to know."

She begins limping back up the cliff side, grasping onto anything for upright support as Wyatt phases into another episode of shock. A quick flood of panic hits him as Beth's dead, pale lifeless face flashes through his mind.

"Josslyn, please." He intercepts her, "I'm begging, begging you." He drops to his knees. "Please don't wander off tonight. If that's - if that's my child then I-I want to think this through. I have to protect not only you, but the child too."

Josslyn scoffs, "what makes you think I give a damn about this child? All I care about is Edwin! We were suppose to move here to begin a new life together, you were never suppose to happen, you're the outlier! You're the third wheel!"

"Third wheel or not, that child's mine as much as yours!"

Suddenly nothing else matters to Wyatt except the quiet 'thump-thump' of a little heart beating, a heart beat he once heard six years ago when he expected to be a father. Then Dr. Atkin's last words spoken before they parted ways outside Josslyn's house begins to echo in Wyatt's mind.

This case is rare, far more intricate than any others I've had. We are dealing with a desperate invisible man, it can get very dangerous for you so be careful. If you've got no choice but to remain, then the only thing you can do for them is to help them recognize what it is they truly want.

Wyatt gazes up at Josslyn from down below, his arms by his side, all machoism humbly collecting at the feet of this woman. "Tell me something, Josslyn. What is it in this world that you want most?"

Josslyn steps back with apprehension. Is this a trick question? No one has ever asked her what she wanted. In fact, she's never asked herself that question. Why grant a guilty person the privilege to make choices?

"What do I want?" She asks with caution.

He nods. "What do you want - not what Maybel wants, not what Edwin wants, but what Josslyn wants. What is it that you want?

Her defense falters, her shoulders slump forward as she wraps her body with both arms and wilts over like a dying flower.

She goes very, very silent as the truth begins to pile through.