T W E N T Y - T H R E E: The Invisible and The Corporeal

"You've got some nerve showing up here." Malice seethes through Edwin's teeth.

Wyatt pants, "I need to speak with you."

"I don't speak with anyone other than my wife."

"Yeah" Wyatt breathes. "I'm well aware she's your wife."

"Not enough to keep your damn hands off her."

"I didn't know she was married at the time. I would have never touched her if you weren't puppeteering her to lie to my face."

"Careful the words you choose, you're talking to an invisible man here."

Wyatt takes a few steps forward, his knees feel like buckling over. "Edwin, Josslyn loves you so much that at the very sight of you, she will falter. That's why I'm here. I know that you know. Josslyn's intentions are guilt driven."

Edwin clenches his fist, "you know too much for my comfort."

Wyatt gulps, "I know she's your life sustenance, but you've got to face the truth. What are you to her?"

"More than you can ever be."

"Even a reflection?"

"Reflections are overrated. People die, women cheat, men leave. You'll never know what love really is until you don't have a reflection."

They begin to walk cautiously as they circle one another, both unwilling to back down.

Edwin sneers with contempt. He could end this man right here, right now. It's far too easy. "I never took you as too bright, Wyatt, I guess I was right."

Wyatt's face flushes. He came to play nice but this asshole's asking for it. "Well, you sure have a knack for underestimating me. Guess your little act of exploitation back-fired. Pretty bright there too, sport." Wyatt stops and faces him directly.

Edwin snorts, picking a small rock off the ground, he tosses it up and down in his hand and locks eyes with Wyatt, "You're overly confident for a man who's going to die today, overly brazen for a man willing to steal another man's woman."

"I didn't steal anything from you. You created this shit pile, I'm just the one to clean it up."

"Oh, I'm sure you cleaned up my wife real well."

"As a matter of fact, I did. Literally."

Edwin heaves a burst of cold air and lunges at Wyatt, slamming him into the trunk of a tree, pinning pressure to clamp his throat shut.

Wyatt grabs at Edwin's arm, resisting the urge to jab his opponent's chest. "You can't-can't hold it against her anymore," he struggles to breath. "Y-You've caused her enough suffering." He gags for air.

"Who the fuck are you to talk about suffering?" Edwin talks through clenched teeth, "You don't know how much I've suffered!" Edwin's voice reverberates throughout the forest. "Don't talk about sacrifices! Don't you dare talk about suffering! I died for this woman! I love her so much I've watched her die and reborn seven times! I've patiently waited decades upon decades in a dark lonely abyss in suspended space time until I see that light beckoning me to her. Each time I despair as she reincarnates into an animal but not this time - this time she's mine! She belongs to me! I've waited too long, given up too much, it's my turn!"

Wyatt tries to pull away.

Edwin pins Wyatt harder. "You think you've got the damn right to waltz in here after three months time and destroy something that's outlasted you for seven lifetimes? I'm invisible but I've given Josslyn everything! Everything anyone in this world could ever dream of. She swims in money, she's never had to lift a finger, we've sailed all the oceans, we've traveled the world together. She lives the life of solitude but she does so without worry! Without ever going hungry!"