Chapter 1

Alex POV

"I'm awake now," Alexis said to her cousin Jake as she roles over in her new bed. "What time is it?"

"It's 6:30, time for you to get up and get ready for school. It's you first day and you don't want to be late. I made breakfast for us."

I looked over at Jake. He was her best cousin-well her only cousin, and her best friend and she didn't know what she would have done without him. He was a little bit taller that her 5'4, a lean body with a little muscle, blonde sandy hair and bright blue eyes. He was now wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans ready for their new school. They were both going to be seniors. "Ok, I'll go shower." Her room was painted white and only consisted of a small chester draw to keep what few cloths she had, a mirror nailed to the wall above- I guess to suffice for a proper dresser- her bed and a small sitting chair. She was just lucky enough to get those things. Since she had a bathroom attached to her room, she got up and walk towards the bathroom, wincing as she stretched.

"Are you feeling okay? Can you make it to school?" Jake asked. She jumped a little; she didn't know he was still there. Turning around to look at him, he was just inside the door frame looking at her with a deep frown and concern filling his eyes. "Yes, I'm fine. My side just hurt a little bit, that's all." Her step-dad had hit her again last night for just spilling a glass of milk. He is always angry. She hated him. Sighing loudly she began to turn around to make her way to her bathroom but before she could Jake grabbed her up in his arm and hugged her. She loved him so much, he was the only family she got and she thank God the day he came to live with them. He was the only one who had ever showed her that they cared; small tears began to roll down her face.

"Don't worry we will get through this. I will protect you the best I can. He will be back soon, so go and shower so we can get out of here. At least school is an escape for us." Jake kissed her cheek and left to go pack his book bag.

Looking in the mirror after she took her shower and put on her usual jeans and t-shirt with her sneakers, she was thinking of how grateful she at least felt that he didn't hit her in her face. She didn't like wearing make-up but she had bought some that one time he hit her and she had needed it. Brushing her hair up into a ponytail, she decided that she looked decent enough and it will have to do. Having long black hair a set of bright emerald green eyes, her lips weren't too thin and weren't too thick either, most people would considered her beautiful. But she didn't think so; she just looked and....felt ...average. She was nothing special.

Sighing she took one last look in the mirror, picked her bag up and made her way down stairs to the kitchen. "Hey what's for breakfast?" Jake was sitting around the kitchen table drinking what she assumed was his usual black mint tea. "Did you eat already?" she didn't see a plate.

"Yes I ate already. Come, sit down we have 40 minutes to get to school."

After eating her favourite pancakes, with scramble eggs and bacon covered in maple syrup, she cleaned up and they head out for their new school. They had to walk since they don't have a car; luckily it was only a few blocks away. Neither of them speaking, they walked side by side in comfortable silence. Alexis take in her surroundings, this was the second time they had walk on this path since they moved here, the first time the wanted to know where the school was. It was a small town, Denville, compared to where she lived before. She could see the forest behind the houses, even at her house she could look out her window and into the forest. Maybe she will go into it one day; maybe she can find a place to get away.

They had moved here three days ago and in those three days she had unpacked and settles in as much as possible. She didn't know why they moved, her step dad had just said so and having no choice in the matter and had to do what they were told.