Chapter Six - Part 7

Start bij het begin

“I understand you, Dr. Wu,” said Troy. “But what is this staple export going to be?”

“It could be a number of things, Mr. Duckworth,” she replied. “I am aware that The Movement is looking to move toward a totally green energy source. If that’s the case, the domestic oil and gas production could all be exported to the rest of the world to use, while The Movement reaps the profits.”

“That is something we have discussed with Dr. Gallagher, the prospects are intriguing,” said President Barber.

“But before that can happen we need to figure out what that green energy will be, where it will be, and then go about constructing the means to receive that energy. The finished product could be several years ahead,” said Troy.

“Yes, it certainly is. But we need to begin somewhere and put a plan into place in order for any changes to occur,” retorted Dr. Wu.

“Plans do precede products, Mr. Duckworth,” agreed President Barber.

Troy looked down at his feet, switching their position on the carpeted floor.

“I’m only trying to put this into perspective. It seems to me that Dr. Wu believes this will be a simple transformation,” opined Troy.

Dr. Wu stood up and raised her voice, pointing her finger at Troy as she screamed.

“Do not bother me with your petty words! I know the order of things! Your input is detrimental to The Movement!” she shouted.

“Dr. Wu!” shouted President Barber. “Please, sit down now!”

Dr. Wu terminated her tantrum immediately and returned to her chair.

“Sorry,” she apologized in a soft tone.

“Now, it is one thing to hold and defend an argument; but it is another thing to bicker like uneducated children,” he stated, changing his focus from Dr. Wu to Troy and back. “Let’s get back to business. You were saying, Dr. Wu?”

“I was simply putting things into perspective. First things first—we first need to find our main sources of green energy—whether that is wind, solar, hydro or whatever else. After that is established we can continue to drill and refine petroleum products in order to export it abroad to receive revenue from it,” said Dr. Wu.

“Have you and Dr. Gallagher been collaborating?” asked President Barber.

“We have talked briefly before about these prospects,” she answered.

“You and her both seem confident in this plan,” replied President Barber.

“It certainly is a plan with unlimited upside,” she claimed.

“What is the downside?” asked Troy.

“There are no apparent downsides if the plan is carried out carefully. But there is one caution if the green energy resources do not pan out the way we expect them to. Also, if other nations adopt green renewables, then our petroleum ready for export would not have a market demand; however, no other nation is as advanced as The Movement is in this subject,” explained Dr. Wu.

“Let’s just say, hypothetically, yours and Dr. Gallagher’s plan does work out. What else are we planning to export besides petroleum? Petroleum will be gone at some point, you know. We need something that can be grown or created indefinitely,” expressed Troy.

“There are hundreds and hundreds of possibilities, Mr. Duckworth,” she answered.

“Which are...” awaited Troy.

“We have the most abundant source of coal and natural gas in the world, dairy products, poultry and meats, wheat, beans, food oils, and not to mention manufactured products. We export billions upon billions of dollars worth of aircrafts and aircraft parts, automobiles, advanced medicines, farm equipment, plastics, steel, aluminum, copper, should I go on?” listed Dr. Wu.

“I know we have thousands of exports, I’m just wondering how you can be so sure of this plan to export valuables,” said Troy.

“Mr. Duckworth, The Movement is home to the most advanced automobiles and aircrafts on the planet. Moreover, we possess the world’s most efficient agriculture. We could feed the world six times each day if we wanted to. The world needs our food and fresh water. We export these commodities at much less value than we could receive. We hold much more economic and commercial power than you realize,” she explained.

“Are you suggesting we starve the world out, Dr. Wu?” asked President Barber.

“Consider it more of a holdout, Mr. President. We certainly would not starve the world out even if we suddenly stopped all agricultural production and exports. But we do have that leverage to raise prices, even one cent higher, to receive much more revenue than we currently do. We are too cheap and too kind, Mr. President. We need to utilize our agricultural capabilities to earn maximum profits,” she explained.

“I suppose one cent more would not significantly alter importing nations’ interest in our products,” said President Barber.

“It’s a simple matter of business power and profitability. We should be maximizing our commercial capabilities, not minimizing them,” opined Dr. Wu.

“I don’t think there is much more to discuss, Dr. Wu. We will be calling you in again in the near future to further discuss the finalizations,” said President Barber.

“Thank you very much, Mr. President. It’s been a pleasure,” she said.

Dr. Wu stood up from her chair and turned to exit the office. She did not acknowledge Troy or wait for him to usher her out.