t w e n t y - o n e

recap:

"One of these beds is about to be real lonely tonight," Josh spoke up after closing the door behind both of us. I laughed, realizing that that was his way of flirting.

     "Yeah, which one though? Cause personally I've always heard that it's good luck to sleep in the bed that's closest to the window," I told him, repeating what my dad told me years ago when we went on vacation to a little cabin in Oregon. After he told me that I forced him to sleep in the bed that wasn't next to the window because "I needed the good luck."

    I smiled at the memory as I jumped onto the bed. I looked over at Josh to see him already looking at me, a small grin on his face. It grew a little more red when he realized that I caught him staring but I simply just motioned him over to me, telling him to turn the light off because I was beyond tired and really just wanted to cuddle with Josh right now.

* * * * *

"Earth to Emily?" Josh spoke up after a few minutes of silence. We hadn't fallen asleep yet, both of us were kind of just lying here. I moved my eyes to show him I was listening, just for a low chuckle to escape from him, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, i'm just thinking," I smiled, bringing my arm under the side of my head. We weren't really touching other than our legs. Both of us were turned on our sides so we could look at eachother (even though it's a little too dark to make out much of his features).

"About what?"

I shook my head, signaling that it wasn't important, getting what I believe was a glare (from what I could tell).

"C'mon Em. Please tell me."

I sighed, scooting closer to josh so I could lay on his chest - knowing that i'll feel more comfortable if I can't see his reaction.

"Would you be opposed to making us official?" I asked, feeling as if a trillion tons of weight have been lifted off of my shoulders, yet a slight fear staying trapped in my mind because what if he doesn't want to make us official and what if he is opposed to the idea. I could hear his heartbeat and found it a little weird when the tempo of it didn't increase by my question, because i'm pretty sure mine was about to burst out of my chest and I wasn't even on the tricky side of the question.

"Is that what you're worried about?" he finally spoke up. I ducked my head, his words making me feel a little ashamed that my question made it seem like I only care about a label between the two of us. I brought my hand up and traced random shapes on his stomach, trying to get myself not to become emotional, but the lump in my throat was growing more and more noticeable, while my hands grew shakier.

"It's not that I'm worried. I was just wondering - but it's alright if you are because, um, yeah. I'm sorry I asked. We don't need a label if that's not what you want."

My words were quiet, but my mind was the total opposite. I heard his heartbeat speed up a little as he sat up, leaving my head to fall back onto the bed. turning my body so I was facing the window, I was a little disappointed when I felt him get off of the bed, followed by the sound of the door leading to the living room open and close.

I didn't want to cry. I shouldn't even be crying considering there's really nothing to cry about. It's not like he really insulted me or said something insanely rude, it's just more of the fact what he said is all he said. My question was logical. I mean we kissed, we admitted to really liking eachother, we even got to the point of sleeping in the same bed (almost, I mean). I don't know why that was his only response when my question was a simple yes or no question.

I grew uncomfortable with the tears soaking the underneath of my right cheek as the tears from each of my eyes traveled toward the pillow. I jumped a little when a hand came in contact with my stomach, Josh pulling me back to his chest.

"Hey, hey. Emily, look at me."

I shook my head, completely embarrassed that he caught me in my self pity mode. I didn't want him to feel bad considering he didn't really do anything. The lamp was turned on before I finally gave in because he repeated himself in a stern tone (which i'd never heard before and if we were in any other situation it would've been kind of hot). Slowly turning over onto my left side, I tried to hide my face from him by tucking it into his chest, but was rejected when he tipped it up so I was looking at him.

His eyes were soft, and his eyebrows were furrowed. I sent him the most genuine smile that I could muster up, but I feel like it was more of a grimace.

"Of course I'm not opposed to making us official. I don't know where you got the idea that I would be, but it seems to me that your pretty little head thinks too hard and too much about these kind of situations," he spoke up, still holding my face up so he could talk to me face to face, "I would love for you to be my girlfriend, and I would love to take you on dates and sleep with you every night, and I would absolutely love to hear the word boyfriend come out of your mouth when you're introducing me to someone," he smiled, leaning down and lightly kissing my forehead. A smile covered my face at his words, so relieved and happy to hear what he had to say.

"Really?"

"Of course Emily," he whispered, "would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?" he asked. Smiles formed on both of our faces, pure gratitude for one another growing by the second.

"I would love to be your girlfriend Josh."

* * * * *

"Wake up sleepy heads!"

"We ordered room service!"

I groaned at the sound of yelling and pounding on the door. Our door was unlocked, but I guess they thought it was better to just make as much sound as they could.

"Don't get up Em. I'll bring you a plate, alright?" Josh mumbled, leaning over and kissing my closed eyes. I smiled, giving him a quick okay before finally opening my eyes. The sight of josh tiredly smiling down at me was engraved in my mind the whole time he was gone getting us food. The affection I felt for him grew by the minute, and I was completely okay with that.

Josh returned quickly, handing me my plate and a glass of orange juice. We didn't talk much as we turned on the tv other than to pick a show to watch (finally agreeing on vampire diaries). Our morning was quiet yet peaceful and that fact that I felt so comfortable and stable around him made me wish we had met sooner. And god, if someone were to ask me when the last time was that I felt truly happy, I would tell them about this morning and how Josh bathed me in his affection for me and the way I felt when he cared for me and laid with me until we both fell asleep for an afternoon nap.