Chapter 29: Fault in Our Stars

(Jhene Aiko- Spotless Mind in MM)

Sarah

She did it.

She was going to finally leave him.

Now what?

It had been a few weeks since the incident and that had given Sarah just enough time to find a divorce lawyer and get this all over with. She met with the lawyer and all she had to do was deliver the papers. She even wanted to do it herself so that Corey knew that this was real. She wanted compensation for the emotional damages and for adultery in the state of Illinois, she could even get compensation for the gifts he were buying Audrey and any of the other women he were seeing on the side on top of the alimony and split assets. Sarah was ready to take everything he had for the all the shit he was pulling over the years.

She was ready to become a different woman.

Sarah smoothed her hair into a ponytail and fixed her make-up in the vanity mirror. Today she was going to go to Corey's job and deliver the papers herself. She wanted to see the look on his pathetic face when she did it. She smoothed down her dress and checked the straps of her heels before grabbing her clutch and keys and heading out the door. She already had all of stuff in boxes ready for him when he came home. She didn't want him here any longer than he needed to be once he gotten those papers. It was really over and she couldn't stress it enough. Even that night after the renewal she was fed up. She'd made sure she wasn't there when he'd got home. She actually been staying at a friends house until she was able to meet with the lawyer and get everything together. She didn't want to give herself any reason to go back to him. She was finally putting her foot down.

Getting into her car and heading towards his job, Sarah was thinking of ways of how to move on with her life after today. Maybe she could now continue with her career that she seemed to put on hold for Corey. She could start that marketing company she always wanted. In the midst of her thoughts soon Sarah was pulling up into the parking lot and heading inside. There was no need for her to make formalities with the downstairs receptionist. This would be the very last time she stepped inside this building.

Heading towards the elevator she flashed back to when she asked Audrey to hold the door a couple of months ago. Who knew she was face to face with the woman who would make all of this possible. Really, she should be thanking her. Sarah lightly laughed at the thought to herself and was relieved she didn't have to relive it again with someone else in the elevator.

Once she made it to the floor, she made her way to the receptionist desk smiling as usual to Mariah behind the desk. Sarah gripped the manilla folder tighter in her hands. She was glad she was able to still put up a front as if her life was as perfect as the day she met Mariah five years ago when Corey first introduced them.

"Good Morning Mariah." Sarah said with her signature smile and cheery voice.

Mariah looked up, oblivious to the turmoil that was going to happen in Corey's office. "Hey Sarah, good morning! You here to see the hubby?" She inquired. Sarah slowly nodded her head, that term of affection Mariah used for her husband made something within her stomach turn.

"Yeah, is he in?"

"Yes, he should be but let me double check." Mariah picked up the phone and dialed Corey's extension. Before She could complete the extension number, Sarah stopped her. She didn't want to give him the upper hand or any reason to turn her away. This was now or never.

"That's okay Mariah, I'll surprise him."

Mariah smiled and nodded her head. "Okay, go ahead on back."