chapter 28: Running Away

(As real as you and me x Rihanna in MM)

Audrey ran.

Audrey ran around the city park trail until she was sure her heart was going to burst in her chest. But she was afraid if she stopped, her thoughts would catch up with her again. It had been a week since the whole vow renewal debacle and she hadn't came out of hiding. Of course she apologized to Krystle's parents for ruining the reception with her drama and they understood, maybe more so out of pity.

Krystle and Natalie had since attempted many times to reach her, blowing up her phone to at least offer a comforting ear but when Audrey hadn't returned anyone's calls, she starting getting "friendly" threatening voice-mails from them both. It wasn't long before they started knocking down her door.

But Audrey didn't want to have to face anything that reminded her of that painful night. Especially the memory of when Marcus had stopped by.

That Night...

When she'd got home, Audrey slipped off her dress and slipped under the covers not even bothering to take a shower. More than anything she wanted to at least call and talk to Marcus but every time she attempted to reach for her phone, his words would cut through her thoughts leaving a painful feeling in her stomach.

"You're just like the rest of these lonely bitches out here. You had a perfectly good man willing to give you the world, love you like you should but you go for the no good nigga who gets a kick out of cheating on his wife."  

His painful words brought tears to her eyes and she buried her face in the pillow sobbing lightly. Every word he said was true. Why couldn't she just leave Corey alone in the beginning when she'd found out? She was so caught up in his words, his alluring personality, her love for him that she's lost sight of right and wrong. This time her heart got her caught up.

She hadn't even realized she fell asleep until there was banging at her front door. At first Audrey thought she were only dreaming the knocks but not until it got harder and louder which made her sit up that she noticed that someone was at her front door. She debated for a few seconds to decide if she should just let them get the hint that she wanted no company to answer the door but when the banging continued after waiting five minutes, she knew she would have to answer it. 

She swung her feet off the bed, stood and reached for the sheer robe hanging behind the door. She could give two shits if her hair was a tangled mess or that her make-up was running. The only person she would look good for hated her guts. 

Audrey dragged her feet to the front door and looked through the peephole but as soon as she did her heart began to race a mile a minute. She couldn't believe that he was here.

Standing at her front door.

Audrey did a quick hair smooth but knew it barely did anything. She even tried to wipe the remainder of her makeup on her robe sleeve. She took a deep breath and shook her hands before reaching for the knob. She could only pray to God that he was here in her favor. She wouldn't know what to do if she was embarrassed any further. 

She swung the door open mid-knock as Marcus' fist was ready to make another attempt. 

"Marcus?" Audrey asked very confused. 

Even though Marcus was so mad that he could burn down an entire city, he still found himself captivated by Audrey. She may have been the biggest whore in his book but by the dry tear streaks on her cheeks, wild hair and puffy eyes all he wanted to do was hold her tight and kiss away her tears. His face even began to soften from the scowl he wore now but then the images of Corey holding Audrey against the glass refueled his anger and he pushed past her to inside the apartment without even saying a word.