Episode 26: The Guardians Abide

Synthetic sunrise blazed over the dome, directed by the ingenious arrangement of shields above. Engineered birds chirped in the perfectly manicured trees outside my window. I almost believed it was a typical Belenus morning.

A blinking notification on my wristcom woke me. Tamsin had sent an image of herself with her siblings. Her gaily striped bathing suit was damp, revealing her figure in splendid ways. She posed upon the shore of Lake Michigatt in an enchanting wide-brimmed hat. The round lenses of her sunglasses gleamed. Her only brother, Stewart, matched her in height and appearance, his brunette locks tousled after a swim. Each resembled their father in varying degrees. Two of their younger sisters were about Castor's age, and I recalled their names were Lucretia and Felice. Sporting enormous grins and life vests, they clutched a set of canoe paddles. The smallest girl was Penelope, but they called her Penny for short. She was a toddler, splashing about in the shallow waves.

Tamsin's words were few, but they conveyed subtle affections. "My dear Simone, we're having a marvelous time. I wish you were here, in so many ways I can't mention. Hugs and kisses, T."

With a heavy sigh, I added it to my folder of secret photos. I missed her terribly. Visions and electronic communication were scarcely a replacement for her.

Someone tapped at my door.

I turned my wristcom off, and placed it on the nearby dresser. "Come in."

Mother entered with a service tray, still clad in her dressing gown and slippers. Her smile beamed upon me. "Good morning, Initiate Senever."

She set the tray down, and removed the lid from a rustic clay teapot set upon it. Pungent aromas steamed forth, an herbal concoction of some sort. She poured a cup of the red-brown liquid for both of us. "Have a spot of this. I've saved it just for today."

I pulled my lounge chair closer. "What is it?"

"Nourishing allies for the mind, body, and spirit. Traumecht tea, a Pruessian tradition. The Order has sadly forgotten it."

I sampled it, and winced. "That's very earthy. Strong flavors."

She laughed. "It's an acquired taste for sure. Grandfather Kraelis never missed a day without his traumecht. He said it kept his Sight strong and his body young."

I raised an eyebrow, and tried another sip. The second wasn't as bad. "Grandfather Kraelis must have been an amazing fellow. May I ask how he passed away?"

Indecipherable emotions passed over her. "He was in excellent health. Barely seventy. They found him dead in his sanctum one afternoon. The doctors ruled it an overdose, due to oral ingestion of Asulma. But there's much more to it."

"His death wasn't an accident?"

"We can't discuss this yet," she said. "Remain silent and vigilant for now."

I trusted Mother, but grew weary of her keeping things from me. Didn't she trust me in return? Perhaps she considered me a child, and needing her protection.

She left the room soon after, and a robot removed the tray.

When we finished breakfast, Castor and I strolled outside.

"Are you and Mother attending the social club tonight?" he asked.

"We are."

"Why is everything they do a secret? Mother never tells me about it when I ask."

I shrugged. "You'd have to be a member to understand."

"I was interested at first. But all those bones and weird people in costumes make me nervous."