Ch 22: Cruel Isn't a Synonym for Honest.

Beginne am Anfang

"Magic isn't something to loathe, its a blessing and a curse sure but it is also power, mortals tend to care very much for power."

I shook my head, "all I care about its powdered sugar."

"That shits disgusting."

I laid my head on the counter, tiered and depressed. Simple he said. 

I couldn't even do something simple.

Grandpa would be sad. He was always so happy talking about magic.

"I dont understand..."

Axel looked at me one brow raised, "why you're body and mind are clearly at odds with what you should be doing with your virginity?"

"No...why can't I use magic?"

He snorted, "I told you, you're distracted easy. That and you seem to loath all things magic."

"I do not!"

"Do you like me Lola?"

I hesitated. What a strange question.

Axel wouldn't hesitate if I asked him that, he would tell me he hated me and call me a name.

"I didn't dislike you before..."

"before you found out I was half night terror half incubus?"

I nodded more to myself than anything, I had liked my human convict cake....this devils food cake i'm not sure about.

"Well. figure out what you feel. magic works best with a clear mind."

"But..."

"But nothing, you're wasting my time."

I grit my teeth.

"I mean come on Lola, its not like no one ever told you about magic and demons before you were just to stupid and blind to really look around you. Thats not my fault. and your grandpa trusted me, that should be reason enough for you to trust me at least a bit too."

"You liked grandpa. You don't like me."

"Yeah but if I was going to do anything to you I would have already done it while you were under my control, you're just stuck because you refuse to believe your grandpa would summon a demon."

"of course I can't believe it! grandpa was a good man!"

He sighed as if exasperated. "He was a good man but a desperate one Lola, how many times do I have to tell you this?"

"Why?..why was he so desperate?"

"because he was human and your kind seem to do strange things in the name of the feeling you call love."

I blinked, looking at the dark haired demon, "love?"

"I told you once before Lola, love is a bitch. For him it was in an entirely different way. He got his love, and then he was forced to be someone else for it."

I was confused, "someone else?.."

"A demon was a last resort of a desperate man who the world had never seen before a man who loved his wife more than his own soul. Thats all you really need to you Lola."

My lips parted in surprise, "..grandma?"

Axels eyes rested upon me, "you know, you shouldn't be so quick to judge. If I had never been summoned, your mother would never have met your father and you never would have been born. Every choice you make changes your path just enough to change fate entirely."

My heart was racing, "What are you saying?.."

"I'm saying that if I wasn't ever summoned by your gramps your grandmother would have died thirty years ago and you're mother would have left this town. The town where she met your father, in order to study at some medical school in Australia, determined to find a cure for her mothers illness even if she couldn't save her own mother according to you're grandpa. The old man was desperate not to lose his nineteen year old daughter and wife all in the same year. Sure he would still have his first born, his son..but his wife and little princess. It was too much for him to take. He summoned a demon, you're grandma magically started to get better and poof sweet daughter stayed."

Tears filled my eyes, "you cured grandma?"

"no. I just gave her a longer life than what was meant for her."

"how?"

"isn't it obvious lola? I fead off peoples fear and transferred the energy I gained to her by the simple touch of even a single fingertip to her palm."

I felt like I was going to be sick..grandma lived off fear. 

"You should have seen the old mans face when his wife started walking again."

"Stop it.."

He hummed at me, that taunting look in his eye again, "whats wrong Lola? You loved your grandma didn't you?"

"..cruel...You're too cruel!"

He sneered, "cruel isn't a synonym for honest Lola. I don't see why you humans always think it is."