Surprise visit

Chapter Seventeen 

****

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. " Cora said, finishing the story she had been telling us about Peter and Derek when they were younger. "That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us– Hide and heal." 

Stiles furrowed his eyebrows, "Okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on like, some extended getaway?" He asked, throwing his hands out to the side. 

It's been two days since everything went down with the Alpha's, and Derek has been missing ever since. I don't blame him though, Ethan and Aiden made him kill his own Beta, that's gotta be hitting him hard. Derek had never shed a tear in front of us before, and we literally watched him breakdown right in front of Boyd's body that night.

"Why do you care?" Cora sassed, flinging her body in the direction of my boyfriend and I. 

Stiles cocked his head to the side, "Why do I care? Let's see–Because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. My girlfriend was in a car accident because of two of the alpha, almost died, and had to receive the bite to survive. Boyd was killed by alphas. I–Do you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, alright? For, like, an hour!" 

Cora narrowed her eyes and began walking slowly away from the loft window, "You think Derek can do anything about that?" 

"Well, since he's the one that everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah." Stiles replied. 

I nodded slightly, "Yeah, I completely agree with that." 

"I don't know...There's something different about him now." Cora admitted, "He wasn't like this when we knew him." 

"Well, then what was he like?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"A lot like Scott, actually." Peter replied as he walked down the spiral staircase. "A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really to only to other teenagers." 

I pulled myself up onto the desk, "You're not tolerable to anyone, so it looks like Derek wins there." 

Stiles glanced over at me, a small smirk taking over his lips before he looked back towards Peter. "And so what happened to him? What changed him?" 

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men...A girl." 

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?" Stiles asked. 

Peter let out a small chuckle as he leaned up against the desk, "Stiles, are you trying to tell me that if your lovely girlfriend and yourself were to break up, or if she were to die, that it wouldn't change you?" 

The room filled with silence. 

Stiles blinked a few times, just staring directly at Peter. "Okay, I get it. Never mind." 

"Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes?" Peter asked Cora, who nodded in response. "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?" 

Both Stiles and I shook our heads slightly, "I personally always thought you were kinda born with a specific eye color." 

"Yeah, I thought it was a genetic thing." 

"If you wanna know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes." 

I let out a sigh and pulled Stiles next to the desk so I could lean up against him, "I have a feeling we're about to find out."