“Of course you are.” Said her friend who was bruenette.

“We are. You can ask him yourself.” I told them.

“Why would we believe you?”

“Maybe because I know the truth?”

“No you don’t. He doesn’t even like you. He feels sorry for you.” the tall one said.

“You don’t know anything about Austin. I’ve known him since I was five.”

“Yeah but that’s the only reason he is still friends with you. he doesn’t like you. no one does.” The brunette said. “He thinks you’re an ugly, fat, horrible singer.” She spat in my face. I felt hot tears come to my eyes. Before I had the chance to say anything I heard someone else speak up.

“For your information, that is most definitely not true. I don’t think that of her and I never will. She is the most gorgeous and talented person I know. I don’t feel sorry for her. However I do feel sorry for you.” Austin said.

“Why do you feel sorry for me?” the blonde asked.

“Because you have to put down girls just to make yourself feel better. Even if Alexis wasn’t in the picture I wouldn’t date you.”

“Oh and why not?”

“Because I only date girls who are confident and like who they are and don’t feel the need to change themselves. I like when they feel secure about themselves. And Alexis is that person.” He said. At that moment I instantly felt like a jerk. He knew that wasn’t the truth. At least I think he did. He knew I didn’t find myself attractive. Well he did when we were dating. He probably thought it was just a phase and that I was over that. And I wasn’t about to correct him. Well not here at least. Without another word I felt him grab my arm and pull me out of the mcdonalds. He didn’t let go until we were on the bus.

“We’ll just get food somewhere else.” He said when we started driving. There was a moment of silence and he must have noticed my confusion because he looked at me.

“What?”

“Why did you do that?” I asked.

“Do what?”

“Why did you say those things to her?”

“Because they were the truth.”

“Well not really.”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“What you said about me being a girl who is confident and likes who they are and feels secure about themselves.”

“But you are.”

“No I’m not.” I shook my head.

“I thought you were over that.” He said.

“Well I’m not.”

“Alexis.” He sighed. “You are beautiful. Okay? Stop telling yourself that you’re ugly because it is so far from the truth that the two don’t even exist on the same planet. You’re beautiful.” He said. I stared at him for a moment and when he started to lean in, I leaned but then quickly pulled away. I stood up and took a few steps back.

“No you cant do that.”

“Do what?”

“You cant just say something like that and then try and kiss me. Not after what happened earlier.”

“Alexis I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean any of that.”

“It’s too late for apologies.”